Best 12v Brand - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Best 12v brand

I owned a Bosch 12v li-ion drill/driver, impact driver, and sawzall/"hackzall"
I loved them, but recently all 3 were stolen.
I'm wondering if anybody has experience with 12v li-ion in Bosch or other brands that they'd like to share.
I was considering Milwaukee, as they seem to be a bit cheaper and more available. Especially the other tools like the hack all, oscillating tool and a light.

Thanks
Mike

Advertisement

michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

Best 12v brand

What are you using them for? DIY, pro?
Why not step up to 18 volts for more power since you have a clean slate and do not have to match anything up?
Both a great brands.
One thing I like to do when making a tool choice is go on Amazon.com. I look at the bottom of the listing for the comments made by people that have bought or own the tool.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #3

Best 12v brand

I am familiar with 18v li-ion tools: don't want to discuss the pros and cons in this thread. For the work I do 12v li-ion tools are better.
I read amazon reviews, but was looking for some interactive reviews. I was also wanting feedback for the system as a whole. Example maybe one brand has a better hack all and one has a better impact or battery life, etc.
The tools I use the most are the hackzall and impact.
I work a day-job, but do a lot of property management/rehab on the side. I hire out most big projects, so 12v tools are better for me because they fit in the tool bag better, and are easier to carry in/out of jobs. For most of my calls I am only using the tools 15 minutes max.

Last edited by michaelcherr; 08-09-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Best 12v brand

Unless you already have some other 12v tools...I would have a hard time believing that 12v has any advantage over 18v.

I personally think for the money, Ryobi is a better value....if it's DIY....they have the broadest selection of tools that use the same battery.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 712

Best 12v brand

I agree, a whole lot less expensive, battery's are 1/2 or more cheaper (I just bought two for about $60.00 yesterday)
I used to have all Dewalt tools and had nothing but trouble with the brushes and triggers. I'd be lucky to get a year out of the battery. Price of parts was way to high.
All my electric tools are Bosch and Milwaukee but all my cordless tools are Ryobi and I use them all day some times.
Some are better then others. The drill work fine but the cheap chuck sucks, the jig saw needs a better blade guide system. The impact and sawsall work great.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #6

Best 12v brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Unless you already have some other 12v tools...I would have a hard time believing that 12v has any advantage over 18v.
12v tools are smaller and lighter: that's their advantage.
18v tools are heavier bigger and more powerful, and for most applications 18v are the best choice: just not for me.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

Best 12v brand

18 v is better suited for day in day out use.. because the batteries dont have to be charged as often..12 volt is lighter weight and much smaller depending on the model

makita and bosch make smaller 12 v tools which are very reliable. dewalts stuff i dont trust for longevity.. i have the milwaukee m12 fuel brushless impact and the standard m12 drill driver.. both perform great but the only thing compact on them is the battery. the actual head and motor housing is almost the same size as most 18 tools. now mind you both of them can almost go head to head with my makita 18 lxt drills in speed and power.. but loose in run time
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

Best 12v brand

Milwaukee tools are great. I have the m12 1/4 ratchet its two years old and I use it daily. Still original battery
cjm94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
I know alittle about alot

Rewards Points: 75

Best 12v brand

i don't own any 12v tools. i have the white 18v makita drill and driver set. about to upgrade to the blue set.. my uncle who does alot of cabinet work and remodeling using the milwaukee m12 drill and impact and he loves it.
JWilliams850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #10

Best 12v brand

Thanks for all the help. Ended up going with Rigid because of the warranty. Just bought the impact for now. FYI (compared to my Bosch impact) the chuck is better, overall feels less comfortable in my hand, the light stays on a bit after I let go of trigger.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
Young Bachelor

Rewards Points: 29

Best 12v brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcherr View Post
Thanks for all the help. Ended up going with Rigid because of the warranty. Just bought the impact for now. FYI (compared to my Bosch impact) the chuck is better, overall feels less comfortable in my hand, the light stays on a bit after I let go of trigger.

Did you mean to say feels more comfortable in your hand?
CTSNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Best 12v brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcherr View Post
Just make sure you fill out the warranty info, otherwise there is no warranty.

Advertisement

mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote