Attepting To Make My Own SDS Plus/male 1/2" Pipe Thread "bit" Having Adhesive Issues - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2015, 12:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 64

Attepting to make my own SDS Plus/male 1/2" pipe thread "bit" having adhesive issues

Ok, I'll try to explain as briefly as possible here, I'm trying to do some horizontal boring, to run wiring for my 12v DC landscape lighting, to this "island" in the middle of my circular driveway. Then, landscape wiring will be making a second run, on the opposite side of the island to continue bringing the power to that side of the yard, which has already been wired for 110v AC in several places. (the yard I mean, not the driveway island)

I rented a trencher and am following NEC code (as I found it, which was NOT EASY, asked regular electricians who mostly knew very little about landscape lights, asked people who advertised landscape lighting installation, local electrical inspector, etc and apparently there's not a lot on paper, but I did learn that cable should be buried 6 inches deep, BUT 18 inches under a residential driveway.

Now, I'm in SE WI, where we have soil with a HEAVY clay content and there seem to be some rocks in the soil, nothing too crazy like buried boulders, but there are rocks as well.

After doing some research, I fond the "garden hose/pvc pipe/spray nozzle method and was able to use that very successfully to get a pipe under a sidewalk about 4 feet wide. The driveway passes are obviously wider though, one's about 16 feet and the other is abut 15 feet across.

So, having seen that the water/pvc/hose nozzle method DID work for some who'd tried it under a driveway, I gave it a shot and WE ALMOST MADE IT ACROSS!!! WE ALSO ALMOST NEARLY COLLAPSED PART OF THE DRIVEWAY!! (Lesson learned on that one-In most of the videos and info you'll find on this method, they'll at least make cursory mention about not using too much water, especially for a driveway. Well, make sure you pass that along 10x over to ALL employees/helpers involved and IF you have one like i do who often DOES NOT pay close attention, tell him/her 1,000x over!!)

We were about a foot away, but as I watched chunks of the ground under the asphalt pavement keep plopping out and into pool that had formed in the pit the bit was supposed to appear in once it got through,along with more water just seeping and trickling through, but in an amazing volume even after all water was off, I yelled "QUICK FILL THIS THING BACK IN!!!" Which I'm pretty sure may have saved my collapse.

So, method #2 was to dig pits in different spots and to attempt using my Milwaukee D-handle rotary SDS hammer drill and to JB Weld a long drilling bit on one side to a 1/2" galvanized pipe nipple, then place first one, then two 10 foot sections of 1/2' galv pipe behind it and then to power the drilling with my Milwaukee rotary hammer (which has proven to be an awesome product so far!) with some sacrifice SDS bit, which would also be JB Welded to a 1/2" galvanized pipe nipple.

Well, it has worked GREAT-ALMOST! I'm again darn close, this time definitely less than a foot away, but the SDS bits that connect to the drill will work jut fine for a while but two of them have eventually failed, where the JB Weld will eventually give way.

Any ideas for any other "metal to metal" adhesives that might work better????

Advertisement

BT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:24 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 5,782

Ayuh,.... A Welder oughta be able to glue 'em together,....

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,630

3M epoxy should get the job done.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
and to JB Weld a long drilling bit on one side to a 1/2" galvanized pipe nipple,
with some sacrifice SDS bit, which would also be JB Welded to a 1/2" galvanized pipe nipple.
Thought 'bout this today,....

You can braze the pipe, 'n you can braze the bit steel,...

I carry torches, so I'd flame cut 1 bit in two, dress the burnt ends, 'n braze 'em into the pipes, or fittin's ya need

The galvanize fumes are Bad Kill ya kinda stuff, so care, 'n fume control is Very Important,....

Last edited by Bondo; 09-25-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 64

Actually Bondo, I think your first welding idea makes the most sense and have a friend who can weld them together for me nice and quick and easy. I'll be dropping them off tomorrow, BUT since I also already have the original SDS plus bit that the JB Weld failed on and had already bought some Loctite epoxy glue as well, I think I'll try them both and I got both of the SDS plus bits on a super sale price anyway, then cut the slightly wider tips off of them to fit inside of the 1/2" pipe nipples, I don't really have any other use for them anyway. Hopefully one of the two will get me through!

Thanks for the help everyone!
BT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #6

Ayuh,.... Weldin' might hold, but drill steel is odd stuff, it might snap off right next to the weld, 1st hammer,...
Nickle rod, Ac stick, would be my "go to",... mig probably not,...

If it does break, get it brazed,... lower heat, good holdin' power, less damage to the drill steel,...

I've saved alota junk with bronze,.... sticks to alota stuff,...

Advertisement

Tags
dc ac