Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #1

Share |

Another air compressor question

I am thinking of buying the Dewalt D55146 air compressor with wheels seen here: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55146-.../dp/B000HZJLV2

My one concern is one of its chief selling points - namely that it compresses air to 200 psi so you can get more usable air out of the small sized tank. One of my air nailers, the only one of which I still have the manual, warns against connecting it to any tank capable to compressing air to 200 psi or greater. The warning does not go on to explain why not, but I assume it is imagining a worst case scenario where the regulator on the compressor breaks and the full force of the tank comes to bear on the seals and the machinery of the gun. Is that the reason? Also can someone tell me if this is one of the warnings I should heed, or if this is one I could ignore.

Thanks.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #2

Windows, I'd never just ignore a manufacturer's warning. Usually they are there because of an incident or injury that occured in the past. Call the manufacturer of the nailer and ask them why that limit is there. Then, you'll have the information you need to make an informed decision regarding the Dewalt compressor.

Otis Gudlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Gudlyfe View Post
Windows, I'd never just ignore a manufacturer's warning. Usually they are there because of an incident or injury that occured in the past. Call the manufacturer of the nailer and ask them why that limit is there. Then, you'll have the information you need to make an informed decision regarding the Dewalt compressor.
Good advice about heeding the mfg warning. But, IMO, many of these warnings are put on by the liability lawyers and as long as you set your regulator to the operating pressure of the gun, you will be fine.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Good advice about heeding the mfg warning. But, IMO, many of these warnings are put on by the liability lawyers and as long as you set your regulator to the operating pressure of the gun, you will be fine.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
That is what I would think too - otherwise it would not be possible to use any Dewalt air guns with this Dewalt air compressor. (I looked through the online manuals for many of their guns and they all contain this same cryptic warning). I have a call in to Dewalt and am waiting for a call back from a product manager.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
DIY staff

That's one nice compressor---Nice price too.---Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:17 AM   #7

I agree that this warning was probably added at the insistence of the lawyers, but my I work in industrial safety so I can't bring myself to simply disregard any warning that comes on a piece of equipment.
I had an incident happen yesterday that might add some insight into the origin of this warning.....I have a portable compressor that pumps to 125psi. I had been using it with my crown stapler and had the regulator set at 90psi. My neighbor wanted to use it to blow up his daughter's bicycle tire (max pressure 40 psi). He never checked the regulator setting.....did you ever notice that a bike tire blowing out can sound like a gunshot? Anyway, he blames me for not telling him I had the regulator set so high....I don't know if he's calling a lawyer or not.
Otis Gudlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #8

Otis,

Welcome to the forum . I wasn't saying disregard mfg safety warnings and your neighbor is a case in point. My point to the OP should have been to understand the safe operating procedures and limitations of his proposed set up, use common sense and he'd be fine.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Otis,

Welcome to the forum . I wasn't saying disregard mfg safety warnings and your neighbor is a case in point. My point to the OP should have been to understand the safe operating procedures and limitations of his proposed set up, use common sense and he'd be fine.

This is good advice, I followed it, bought the compressor yesterday and set it up, and was happily shooting nails today. I am impressed so far with everything. Runs like a dream and my system is air leak free as far as I can tell. Appreciate the thoughts from everyone who chimed in. I am definitely a person who reads instructions and does things safely, but sometimes it is hard to discern what is a legitimate concern and what is mandated by the company's legal department. Case in point, I bought a bottle of chalk today for my straight edger and at the top of the bottle is a caution informing me that failing to follow he written instruction could result in serious bodily injury. This is the type of foolishness that obscures and buries instructions and warning that users should understand and obey.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #10

I have 4 of those compressors. Each has been in the repair station in Portland once. Even though I know a couple were out of warrenty, they were repaired under warrenty.

The last time one was in I asked for another wheel to replace the broken wheel. I reached for my wallet and was told "Warrenty". They replaced both wheels, and gave me 2 more wheels for spare. the plastic wheels are under warrenty.

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote