Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #1

Share |

Air powered tools

I'm getting conflicting answers to my question. Hopefully someone can help. I recently bought a small air compressor to run a brad nailer for a small project. It's a 2HP, 6gal tank compressor (3.6 SCFM at 40psi). I'd like to use a small paint sprayer to spray thinned latex paint on some trim work and doors. Will my compressor be powerful enough? The detail sprayer at Sears says it uses 3.4 SCFM at 40 psi, but a nearly identical sprayer from Campbell Hausfeld says it needs a minimum 5HP, 11 gal compressor. I realize that I cannot use this sprayer continuously for large projects with my current set-up. But, would I be able to do a small and intermittent spray project? Some say yes, others say the sprayer will certainly sputter and clog. The salesmen at the stores don't seem to know either. Any advice? Thanks.

depittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #2

Air powered tools

Actually, a used one, but new to me! It's a 25 gal horizontal tank older Craftsman oiless in excellent condition. I've already checked it out and confirmed auto cut-off, etc. It has a filter and separate regulator added with galvanized iron piping, and I have bought a new combined filter, regulator and oiler to replace it with, and will probably replace all the iron fittings with brass. Since the air hose connects to this device, it obviously needs a brace of some kind to take the strain off the 1/4" piping. Also obviously, you can't drill into the tank, so I plan on fabricating a brace of 1 1/4" x 1/16" steel plate and using PC-7 epoxy to attach it to the tank. The filter ass'y has a mounting bracket between the filter and oiler that will just bolt to the brace. Does anybody have any other thoughts on how to do this?

1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:23 PM   #3
Contractor

Air powered tools

DO NOT USE BRASS! It will crystallize under vibration and fail. Connect your support bracket to the motor support or other bracket already welded to the tank. Most epoxies will not attach well to metal or accept the heat/expansion/contraction.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #4

Air powered tools

I have this HF detail spray gun and use it all the time for small around the house paint projects (cement ornaments and the like).

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...gun-92126.html

I have a 30 Gal compressor, but turn down the regulator and only run the gun at 25 PSI. It should work with your compressor just fine.

For 13 bucks, wouldn't cost much to try it out.

Last edited by gary300; 06-17-2014 at 10:51 PM.
gary300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #5

Air powered tools

1saxman,

Install a female quick coupling to the outlet of the tank. Install a water/oil separator and regulator somewhere on a wall with a male adapter to attach a hose from the the tank. This will take the pressure off the tank and give you support for the separator and the regulator. The hose between the tank and the separator will eliminate any stress from vibrations. I set this system up years ago for my Sears compressor and never had any problems.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote