Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Air Compressor stopped working, extension cord was used.

Hi all, looking for some advice.

I bought an air compressor a couple of months ago, used it to spray my basement ceiling texture. Worked fine then, was plugged directly into a 20A circuit and I never had any issues. It's an oiled model, and the oil level looks fine.

Turned it on the other day to fill up tires on the cars and used an extension cord to get power to it, I was unaware that air compressors and extension cords don't make good combinations. Obviously I've learned about that while looking for some answers.

Anyways, the extension cord tests out fine. It's been removed from the equation now, but it doesn't appear to have been damaged. The cord from the unit looks fine also. I've taken the switch assembly apart on the compressor and I do have live power from the wall going into the unit, and when I turn the switch on, the power is properly routed out of the switch and to the motor.

The compressor will no longer "run", so I'm left to assume that my extension cord adventure either ruined the compressors motor, or possibly that there is some electrical issue that was caused further down in the innards of this thing.

So, I'm looking for advice of "things to check", or any suggestions on what commonly occurs in this situation. Have I likely ruined the engine? Just need to replace an electrical cable further into the unit? Any help welcome!

Thanks,

-r

dawho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

well, nevermind all, was simple enough after all. Once I unmounted the engine from the frame, took off a plastic cowling, and there was a nifty circuit breaker staring me in the face. Pushed it back in and we're good to go.

dawho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

as i mentioned in another earlier post, always use a longer hose, never extention cords for compressors. this is why folks!

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I use #9 wire for all my extension cords. 100+ ft with 100ft hose. I have never had problems. Now my little 1800 psi pressure washer is another story.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote