Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #1

Share |

Air Compressor

I have a Craftsman air compressor, its about 2 years old. I cant for the life of me get the air to stop leaking out of the hose ends (hose to compressor and hose to tool) i have I used plumbers tape and really screwed them together, but the leaks continue.

Any thoughts?

-J
Jshakour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Air Compressor

Striped threads? Try getting a new hose. Use plumbers dope and see if that helps. Also if you are using teflon tape you want to wind it onto the male part in the same direction that the female part screws on, usually clock wise. If you wrap it anti clockwisa the tape gets torn off before the threads grab it.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #3

Air Compressor

it tried another hose and I got the same result.

Ill try the plumbers dope.

Thanks

-J
Jshakour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
J Calvin Construction

Air Compressor

Mine leaks around the fittings themselves. I too tried all the tape and dope and cheater bars to tighten them and it never helped. I have finally resolved in buying another 50' airhose to get that thing away from where I'm working so I don't have to hear it. I keep saying that I am going to order some well made ends but those japan junk kits that blowes sells that has the tire chuck, air gauge, nozzles, ... is too tempting to pass up.

You hired WHO?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #5

Air Compressor

Maybe a good wire brushing ( electric) of the threads? Are you sure the air is coming from around the threads? How is the clamped parts on the hose?

If not sure where the leak is, try some leak detecter or soapy water to pinpoint the leak. I have on ethat constantly leaked down. This went on for a loooong time as I do not use it very much. Heheh, my drain plug on the bottom of the tank needed tightening.

Last edited by boman47k; 04-26-2008 at 07:50 AM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #6

Air Compressor

make sure its threads leaking and not the female coupler itself? cheap ones and old ones will leak. the rubber seals go out in there and theyre junk.
RedsRR is offline   Reply With Quote