44mm Drill Press Table Replacement? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,174

44mm drill press table replacement?

Any ideas on where I might find a 12" round drill press table with a 44mm post? I'd like to have a second one on-hand to ease switching between a drill press table and a cross-slide vise. The vise needs bolting onto the table, simple knobs are not really sufficient. Been there, tired of doing that. It just gets tedious switching and realigning everything. A spare table would make it just simple matter of loosening the post clamp and swapping tables.

It's an old Guardian Power unit, essentially a Taiwanese brand. But I've had no luck chasing down any kind of part numbers.

I don't need an exact replacement, just another table with a 44mm post for the clamp. I checked and the current Sears junk does use the 44mm post, but ain't no way I'm paying $70 for the ridiculously inferior metal they use to make them. Really, it's barely more than pressed tinfoil, nowhere near cast iron.

I checked with Grizzly and their tables use a 46mm post.

Any suggestions on resellers that might have something I can buy outright? I have no patience for the craigslist/ebay dance for something like this.

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,958

Re: 44mm drill press table replacement?

This doesn't answer you question directly but about 25 years ago I built a small that clamps into my cross-feed vice (which is bolted to the press's table). It is simply some mdf and plywood with a 2x2 which is clamped by the vice. It's not very high precision and could probably be vastly improved upon but has served my purposes over the years.

Advertisement

lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote