Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

19.2 batteries problematic

I purchased nearly a full set of 19.2 cordless tools over 10 years ago and have been very satisfied untill 3or4 years ago when I had to replace worn out batteries. I have 4 NiCd's I purchased 4/12 that won't hold a shelf charge for much over 2 weeks. I have 2 lithium-Ion batteries that came with tools that have been problematic since they were new. I went back to the store and was told I wasn't charging the properly. I have a good set of tools but cannot use them because I have no way to power them. I am about ready to retire them to the trash. Any better suggestions.

fehoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Batteries are always an ongoing expense. That's the price you pay for cordless tools. I have to buy about a dozen Makita LI batteries every year as they only last that long at best. Hate it but it's just another expense. Bought six hilti impacts this year. Expensive up front but two year warranty will hopefully offset the initial costs. Have had issues with them but so far Hilti has been superb about honoring the warranty.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 582

+1. Batteries are always going to go bad. Buy a good brand, and keep them out of the cold... I've noticed that the smaller Li-on batteries go dead after a year like clockwork, but the larger ones seem to go longer... And when I say larger, I don't mean voltage, but the physically larger 3.0ah units vs the 1.5 or whatever the smaller ones are.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Ni Cad Batteries suck. They develop dendrites that short out the cells.
Go Lithium Ion Next time, and buy a good brand, like Bosch.

Stuffing 16 1.2V cells into a drill battery overheats the cells in the middle of the pack when charging, causing them to fail.

Hint: A 14.4 Volt Drill battery lasts twice as long as an 18 or 19.2 volt battery, it is lighter, and it develops as much torque if it is a good make.

To my way of thinking, there is a definite cut off point where cordless no longer makes any sense. They are fine for some things, and ludicrous for others, but people keep buying them, even when you can buy a small generator relatively cheap, and buy AC tools for a song. Go figure.

I think its a my wang is bigger than yours thing. Pretty soon we will see a big Dewalt pod on the trunk of cars.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post

I think its a my wang is bigger than yours thing. Pretty soon we will see a big Dewalt pod on the trunk of cars.

You must be right. Couldn't be that some of us aren't going to string 15 cords all over the roof. Yep, all about showing off for me. Nothing to do with efficiency.

Saws, sawzalls, rotary hammers, peanut grinders corded is the best way to go. Cordless are nice to have for special situations. Drills, impact drivers and riveters, cordless is definitely most productive and best way to go. Except for their controversy with their batteries, Makita is supreme for their cordless tools amongst the contractor grade tools. Even the 3.0 which is all we ever use only last a year at best but we use and abuse the hell out of them. I used a friend's milwaukee set once and they really seemed decent but I've never bought any.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,110

ive owned just about every pro grade brand of cordless tool.. the ones ive had to most issues with were ridgid and milwaukee which have the same parent company. the batteries went stale very early on

ive gotten amazing life out of my bosch impact drivers and makita drills.. my first bosch drill lasted 4 years, the 2nd was 3 years until the trigger burnt out on it. both these were nicads. now i have both makita and bosch lith ion sets, the makita lxt line is more powerful and if i want to add another tool to my collection they have 50 some odd bare tools that all run off the same battery
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Yeah Old, I see what you mean if you are talking residential steep roofing, where you use air more than anything else, and extension cords on the roof are a real hazard. On low slope roofing, I see guys drilling with a battery hammer drill and I cringe at the loss of production. On a recent project, I told one of the guys that I could drill 4 holes to his one with my Hilti TE-12S. "Put your money where your mouth is" was the answer. Fine I said, 50 bucks on it, and Ill bring it in. I was wrong. I drilled 6 holes to his one. I bought lunch with the 50 bucks. He ordered (6) TE12S's

Last edited by jagans; 01-15-2013 at 10:25 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Batteries are always an ongoing expense. That's the price you pay for cordless tools. I have to buy about a dozen Makita LI batteries every year as they only last that long at best. Hate it but it's just another expense. Bought six hilti impacts this year. Expensive up front but two year warranty will hopefully offset the initial costs. Have had issues with them but so far Hilti has been superb about honoring the warranty.
I've had my Makita drill set (impact and driver) 18 volt lithium ion with zero issues for over two years now, used daily on job sites.

I wonder if you received part of some bad batch of batteries..?? this is the first I've heard of anything Makita ever prematurely going bad. Makita is all I use.