Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Member
 
BabsHoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seneca, MO
Posts: 165
Share |
Default

You folks have ruined me!


I must preface by saying, I really do love this forum.
I spend ten times as much time reading as I do posting and I have learned SO much. So thank you for that.

But really? I've been ruined!

I noticed it about six months ago. I couldn't walk into somebody's house without checking out how things were attached, how well the lights were working in the space, etc. All in an effort to make decisions about my own house.

But today.... I was sitting in the dang dentist's office...
thinking to myself...
"That's a change in plane, it shouldn't be grout, that should be caulk."
"That ceiling texture looks like it was done by a twelve year old."
"Really, brand new building huh? If you hadn't forgotten the chair rail on that wall you wouldn't have chipped paint there."

and the list goes on.

Damn it.

BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BabsHoney For This Useful Post:
angelatc (01-11-2013), DangerMouse (01-09-2013), mae-ling (01-08-2013), oh'mike (01-09-2013), soberjulie (01-27-2013), ToolSeeker (01-11-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

You folks have ruined me!


hahaha...I know what you mean. I can't go to others houses without thinking about how much it's worth.

Ever spent time with a psychology student? They analyze everything you say.

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Member
 
BabsHoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seneca, MO
Posts: 165
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
hahaha...I know what you mean. I can't go to others houses without thinking about how much it's worth.

Ever spent time with a psychology student? They analyze everything you say.
Oh yes. I have a very good friend who is a phychology student who also happens to suffer from a personality disorder. Let me tell you how much fun that is.
BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,722
Default

You folks have ruined me!


You will continue to see a lot of shortcuts in new construction. It comes down to money. Nobody wants to spend more than they have to so lower quality materials and labor shortcuts go into most new construction. I see grout used in corners a lot in public restrooms. It may just come down to the economics of not having to buy a separate tube of grout when the contractor has plenty of grout on hand. I am still trying to figure out why my dentist's new building was built with a mini duct system which blows air at a higher velocity with more noise. I thought those systems were used for addons there duct space is limited in old construction.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Member
 
BabsHoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seneca, MO
Posts: 165
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Well I will say, this forum helped me at work as a tax preparer.

The very first day of training I asked why the building didn't have gutters and pointed out some wood rot.
The first week I was promoted to reviewer because of my "attention to detail."
BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BabsHoney For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-09-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,739
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Welcome to our world.
I've been told many times stop looking around like that just sit there and enjoy yourself when we go to other peoples homes.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (01-08-2013), ToolSeeker (01-11-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,582
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Welcome to our world.
I've been told many times stop looking around like that just sit there and enjoy yourself when we go to other peoples homes.
My wife used to elbow me when I commented on building stuff.
I do it with movies too
"how can they crawl down that duct and come out over there?
"why did all those sprinkler heads go off? The fire's in one little room.
Why didn't that bullet go through the drywall?
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Default

You folks have ruined me!


LOL! I've been a DYI guy since forever! I never noticed, but I have critiqued workmanship everywhere I have happened to be.
Having done so, for years, subconsciously for sure, I thank you for bringing this aberration to my attention!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: VA, MD, DC
Posts: 5,604
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Hilarious. We have created a contractor's worst enemy.

Good eye though!!!
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 6,804
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Well....it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one....

But you know your really in trouble when you go to HD just so you can offer advice to other customers....
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,649
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Well....it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one....

But you know your really in trouble when you go to HD just so you can offer advice to other customers....

Your's would be better than most of the people that work there.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,863
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
But you know your really in trouble when you go to HD just so you can offer advice to other customers....
Good Lord, I've actually done that! Was looking for a specific circuit breaker when this lost-looking fellow asked me if I was an electrician and could I help him. So, in true HD fashion, I told him to buy the wrong thing (just kidding).
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (01-09-2013), ddawg16 (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 6,804
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Good Lord, I've actually done that! Was looking for a specific circuit breaker when this lost-looking fellow asked me if I was an electrician and could I help him. So, in true HD fashion, I told him to buy the wrong thing (just kidding).
Ok....I have to be honest......I saw a couple looking at shower fixtures one day in HD....I suggested they go over to the Furgeson showroom a few blocks away..........she was REALLY good looking.....and I'm sure the salesman there would have thanked me later....
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsHoney
I must preface by saying, I really do love this forum.
I spend ten times as much time reading as I do posting and I have learned SO much. So thank you for that.

But really? I've been ruined!

I noticed it about six months ago. I couldn't walk into somebody's house without checking out how things were attached, how well the lights were working in the space, etc. All in an effort to make decisions about my own house.

But today.... I was sitting in the dang dentist's office...
thinking to myself...
"That's a change in plane, it shouldn't be grout, that should be caulk."
"That ceiling texture looks like it was done by a twelve year old."
"Really, brand new building huh? If you hadn't forgotten the chair rail on that wall you wouldn't have chipped paint there."

and the list goes on.

Damn it.
That's what happens!! Good for you for enjoying it. Nothing better then a female with a tool belt
fasteddie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Default

You folks have ruined me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie3 View Post
That's what happens!! Good for you for enjoying it. Nothing better then a female with a tool belt
better than a chastity belt!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The folks at this site MikeKy55 Off Topic 5 01-30-2011 06:16 PM
New Wood Doors - Ruined sparky472 General DIY Discussions 15 06-02-2010 10:29 PM
Need help folks! Gotta find??? Please help! MrShadetree0222 HVAC 1 10-08-2008 12:52 PM
Water seeped through tiles in shower, wall ruined, need help. doogie88 Building & Construction 39 10-07-2008 04:13 PM
Hello, and good evening folks! MrShadetree0222 Introductions 2 10-04-2008 09:26 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.