DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   You folks have ruined me! (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/you-folks-have-ruined-me-168632/)

BabsHoney 01-08-2013 08:35 PM

You folks have ruined me!
 
I must preface by saying, I really do love this forum.
I spend ten times as much time reading as I do posting and I have learned SO much. So thank you for that.

But really? I've been ruined!

I noticed it about six months ago. I couldn't walk into somebody's house without checking out how things were attached, how well the lights were working in the space, etc. All in an effort to make decisions about my own house.

But today.... I was sitting in the dang dentist's office...
thinking to myself...
"That's a change in plane, it shouldn't be grout, that should be caulk."
"That ceiling texture looks like it was done by a twelve year old."
"Really, brand new building huh? If you hadn't forgotten the chair rail on that wall you wouldn't have chipped paint there."

and the list goes on.

Damn it.

creeper 01-08-2013 08:45 PM

hahaha...I know what you mean. I can't go to others houses without thinking about how much it's worth.

Ever spent time with a psychology student? They analyze everything you say.:huh:

BabsHoney 01-08-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper (Post 1089348)
hahaha...I know what you mean. I can't go to others houses without thinking about how much it's worth.

Ever spent time with a psychology student? They analyze everything you say.:huh:

Oh yes. I have a very good friend who is a phychology student who also happens to suffer from a personality disorder. Let me tell you how much fun that is. ;)

Jim F 01-08-2013 08:49 PM

You will continue to see a lot of shortcuts in new construction. It comes down to money. Nobody wants to spend more than they have to so lower quality materials and labor shortcuts go into most new construction. I see grout used in corners a lot in public restrooms. It may just come down to the economics of not having to buy a separate tube of grout when the contractor has plenty of grout on hand. I am still trying to figure out why my dentist's new building was built with a mini duct system which blows air at a higher velocity with more noise. I thought those systems were used for addons there duct space is limited in old construction.

BabsHoney 01-08-2013 09:02 PM

Well I will say, this forum helped me at work as a tax preparer.

The very first day of training I asked why the building didn't have gutters and pointed out some wood rot.
The first week I was promoted to reviewer because of my "attention to detail."

joecaption 01-08-2013 09:14 PM

Welcome to our world.
I've been told many times stop looking around like that just sit there and enjoy yourself when we go to other peoples homes.

TheEplumber 01-08-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1089367)
Welcome to our world.
I've been told many times stop looking around like that just sit there and enjoy yourself when we go to other peoples homes.

My wife used to elbow me when I commented on building stuff.
I do it with movies too
"how can they crawl down that duct and come out over there?
"why did all those sprinkler heads go off? The fire's in one little room.
Why didn't that bullet go through the drywall?

Wildie 01-08-2013 10:03 PM

LOL! I've been a DYI guy since forever! I never noticed, but I have critiqued workmanship everywhere I have happened to be.
Having done so, for years, subconsciously for sure, I thank you for bringing this aberration to my attention! :eek:

Windows on Wash 01-08-2013 11:24 PM

Hilarious. We have created a contractor's worst enemy.

Good eye though!!!

ddawg16 01-09-2013 12:20 AM

Well....it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one....

But you know your really in trouble when you go to HD just so you can offer advice to other customers....

chrisn 01-09-2013 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1089507)
Well....it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one....

But you know your really in trouble when you go to HD just so you can offer advice to other customers....


Your's would be better than most of the people that work there.:laughing:

md2lgyk 01-09-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1089507)
But you know your really in trouble when you go to HD just so you can offer advice to other customers....

Good Lord, I've actually done that! Was looking for a specific circuit breaker when this lost-looking fellow asked me if I was an electrician and could I help him. So, in true HD fashion, I told him to buy the wrong thing (just kidding).

ddawg16 01-09-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 1089551)
Good Lord, I've actually done that! Was looking for a specific circuit breaker when this lost-looking fellow asked me if I was an electrician and could I help him. So, in true HD fashion, I told him to buy the wrong thing (just kidding).

Ok....I have to be honest......I saw a couple looking at shower fixtures one day in HD....I suggested they go over to the Furgeson showroom a few blocks away..........she was REALLY good looking.....and I'm sure the salesman there would have thanked me later....

fasteddie3 01-09-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabsHoney
I must preface by saying, I really do love this forum.
I spend ten times as much time reading as I do posting and I have learned SO much. So thank you for that.

But really? I've been ruined!

I noticed it about six months ago. I couldn't walk into somebody's house without checking out how things were attached, how well the lights were working in the space, etc. All in an effort to make decisions about my own house.

But today.... I was sitting in the dang dentist's office...
thinking to myself...
"That's a change in plane, it shouldn't be grout, that should be caulk."
"That ceiling texture looks like it was done by a twelve year old."
"Really, brand new building huh? If you hadn't forgotten the chair rail on that wall you wouldn't have chipped paint there."

and the list goes on.

Damn it.

That's what happens!! Good for you for enjoying it. Nothing better then a female with a tool belt :)

Wildie 01-09-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasteddie3 (Post 1090131)
That's what happens!! Good for you for enjoying it. Nothing better then a female with a tool belt :)

better than a chastity belt! :yes:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved