Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #1

Share |

Yes or no for a truck?

So i've been a doing a lot of projects and have come to terms that i NEED a truck. i can't keep asking my dad or brother for theirs. I used to have an 02 duramax crew cab 4x4 but I don't have a ton of money for one now however also want to get something i like.

I'm looking at an 04 ford f250 powerstroke crew cab 4x4. One owner, 181xxx miles. Asking 13K. it may be overkill for my purposes but i like the truck. Hoping i won't have a ton of problems with it. The guy is nice and show me his 2011 f250 (jerk...lol)

Opinions/advice?

gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #2

Yes or no for a truck?

I looked at a ton of trucks
I ruled out the smaller trucks as what you gain in gas mileage (small) is not worth what you give up in a truck
I drive less then 4k miles a year in the truck, so not a huge concern

I have a 2005 Ford F150, bought new, Ford family deal or whatever
With my trade it was a good deal
Had been saving up & we paid cash for the truck
I expect to own it maybe 20 years or more....as long as it still runs
Neighbor has an F150...has had it maybe 15-20 years I think

So I weighed the length of time I would own it against a used truck
For me what I saved was not worth buying a used truck
I've never liked vehicles with high miles...after owning several when I was younger

Will this be a primary vehicle, or a backup ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #3

Yes or no for a truck?

well, it will be for back up pretty much. i have 2 older civics i drive everyday. and my 2002 harley deuce. I know, high mileage trucks kind scare me too. but i am not in the position to purchase a new one, thats for sure. I could always save a few more thousand dollars and look more in the fall, that way i'll have about 5-6k to put down on something. Just sucks because the family members with trucks live about 30 minutes away plus i think it's starting to be an inconvience for them.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
MJW

Yes or no for a truck?

As long as you don't drive too much a Ford just might hold up. My father -in-law is a service manager at one of the bigger Ford dealerships around. I've heard plenty and seen enough personally to stay clear, but that's just me.

That particular Powerstroke wasn't one of their real great ones, if I remember correctly.

BTW, I had a 02 Dmax before I got my Cummins. That truck was almost bulletproof. I really hope this Mopar is half as good.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #5

Yes or no for a truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
As long as you don't drive too much a Ford just might hold up. My father -in-law is a service manager at one of the bigger Ford dealerships around. I've heard plenty and seen enough personally to stay clear, but that's just me.

That particular Powerstroke wasn't one of their real great ones, if I remember correctly.

BTW, I had a 02 Dmax before I got my Cummins. That truck was almost bulletproof. I really hope this Mopar is half as good.
Yeah, i've heard the same thing about the powerstrokes that year. Maybe i'll hold off a bit. sounded like a decent deal but if i don't have the funds to fix it when something goes wrong then it's probably best to wait.

Thank you all for the advice.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Yes or no for a truck?

My Ford truck only has 400,000 miles and is starting to smoke. Can you imagine that?
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
Willie T (07-02-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #7

Yes or no for a truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
My Ford truck only has 400,000 miles and is starting to smoke. Can you imagine that?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #8

Yes or no for a truck?

Unless you need a truck frequently you'd be thousands of dollars ahead by having things delivered and/or renting a truck. No insurance, no taxes, no maintenance, no payments.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Yes or no for a truck?

I'd say that the truck in question is definatley a "crap shoot". The 6.0 liters were a headache for the most part, although some were somehow flawless. I personally would never gamble with one though. When they have issues, they can e a complete nightmare. Think of it this way: Do you have/are you willing to throw a few thousand bucks at this truck if or when it has a major problem?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #10

Yes or no for a truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
I'd say that the truck in question is definatley a "crap shoot". The 6.0 liters were a headache for the most part, although some were somehow flawless. I personally would never gamble with one though. When they have issues, they can e a complete nightmare. Think of it this way: Do you have/are you willing to throw a few thousand bucks at this truck if or when it has a major problem?
Thank you for the advice, you seem to know you powerstrokes well. I would be willing to put money into but something tells me it would be sooner rather than later.

My uncle has an 04 and apparently his entire engine had to be replaced (under warranty, thankfully)
Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
" Euro " electrician

Yes or no for a truck?

I will just stay away from 6.0 L powerstroke engine I have heard alot of issue with them but very old school 7,3L IDI engine I have before it ran over 680,000 miles before I retire that truck not much issue with that one at all.

I did get pretty good fuel milage on them useally about 15 in town but get 18 average on the road.

Right now I am in France so I have few European verison truck here.

They are ok to me but a tad underpowered.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
gmhammes (07-03-2010)
Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #12

Yes or no for a truck?

I have most always kept a pickup for projects and general hauling chores - typically driven just a few thousand miles a year. I don't worry about fancy options and features - just something basic, reliable, and that can paid for with cash. No payments!
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #13

Yes or no for a truck?

A pickup truck is very important for DIY projects. I justify the expense by using it as our second vehicle. I can take all six of us in my Dodge quad cab although the middle seats are tight so reserved for the smallest two of my crew. I would be very cautious of a high milage vehicle of any type especially from a private owner. But that is just based on my own experiences.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #14

Yes or no for a truck?

http://www.nadaappraisalguides.com/?...FSI55QodNkzmyg

http://www.kbb.com/?trid=20&psid=1-1...0_3568933759_1
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #15

Yes or no for a truck?

Just passed 5 years on my F150 at the end of June
Average 3,650 miles year
At this rate it will take me 27 years to get get to 100k miles

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote