Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Share |

Which would you choose?

This thread is for those who have built, paid to build, and/or own a pool - particularly those with inground pools with vinyl liner.

Which would you choose: to convert your pool to a salt pool or upgrade your pool pump to an ultra high efficiency unit?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by oodssoo; 09-18-2012 at 01:18 PM.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Which would you choose?

What are you trying to accomplish? It seems like you are asking about two different things?

Last edited by user1007; 09-18-2012 at 09:07 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Which would you choose?

I would fill it with dirt and plant a garden Sorry but IMO pools are an expensive PIA
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
user1007 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Which would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
I would fill it with dirt and plant a garden Sorry but IMO pools are an expensive PIA
I generally agree but have put clients in touch with some of the natural pool designers whose work is catching on. Their pools are gorgeous and require near zilch in maintenance and chemicals. I liked them because they actually fit into the landscape. You did not have to try and design around them. Kids like the extra wildlife that comes with the deal.

There are some nice European systems that involve pumping shallow water over copper plating and even in public pools that eliminates or reduces chemical needs.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #5

Which would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodssoo View Post
This thread is for those who have built, paid to build, and/or own a pool - particularly those with inground pools with vinyl liner.

Which would you choose: to convert your pool to a salt pool or upgrade your pool pump to an ultra high efficiency unit?

Thanks in advance.
Thank you for those who have responded.

Are there anymore?
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #6

Which would you choose?

if it is inground, i would recommend the salt system, ive seen one at work and its pretty amazing. If it is above ground, DO NOT use a salt system. The salt will eat the supports and liner, and will break your pool after about 5 years, this just happened to a friend of ours, the salt ate right through the liner and pool support, and since it was up on a deck level with their home, it flooded their brand new home and completely destroyed their car that was parked beside it. Inground pools can use salt just fine though, and its cheaper than those gadgets.We have a pool, but its a 4' above ground pool so we just use a high-efficiency sand pump, it works but i would really prefer salt if there was any way to make it inground

Last edited by firsttimeremode; 09-19-2012 at 08:35 AM.
firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote