Would Like To Rig Myself A Garage Vent - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Would like to rig myself a garage vent

I've always felt it kind of crazy that we park our cars in attached garages, and that these aren't vented by default. You can smell a hot mess of car exhaust and random other elements when you open the door that leads from the inside to the garage.

I was thinking of starting with one of these as fan:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/vort...-6-inch/995925

Two of these for ceiling vents:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/8-in...r-hvac-/990539

One of these to make sure the bugs don't get in:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fantech-RSK6-...-/290897074620

Then this to vent to the outside:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Provent-Dr...item564868e8cd

The arrows in my little diagram would be dryer vent of some kind (flexible foil-looking stuff).

Would something like this work? Anything to worry about? Also curious how I could rig a thermostat on the inside of the garage to trigger the fan when it gets warm. Ideally, I'd like to be able to turn it on manually (e.g., tap the button and it's on for 60 minutes, hot-tub style) or automatically (temp > 35 deg).

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Would like to rig myself a garage vent-garage.png  

Advertisement

JustChecking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,486

Your garage is too air tight. Also has nothing to do with the garage being too warm.

The biggest problem is that your garage is probably well insulated, possibly heated, cars and other gas fueled items are left to run while the garage door is closed, or kept running while the garage door is closing.

The first thing is to not run vehicles while the garage door is only open 12" or closed all together. That means either leaving, or coming home. Same thing with running lawn mowers while the door is closed, then opening the door.

If you want to vent the space. You will need to go a different route. The other thing is that it can feed a fire if one breaks out in the garage.

The rule of thumb is to not store combustibles inside the garage (ie gas, cleaners, solvents, cleaners). They need to be stored outside in a cabinet stated combustible contents inside. Do not run cars, lawn mowers or other gas fueled items while the door is closed.

Garage is getting too hot. Then that means that either the windows are allowing direct Sun to heat up the space in the morning or afternoons. Also there is no way to exchange the air inside the garage, due to it is sealed too tight, to keep out the outside elements and critters.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #3

Thanks for chiming in

I definitely don't run anything with the door closed. I open the door before I start the car, and turn the car off before I close the door. I think it stands to reason that cars do emit gas for a few, even after they're shut.

Would my little idea not work if I had little vents at the bottom of the garage door, and the fan blowing air drawn from the ceiling intakes, out?

I got on this tangent when I came across this:
http://www.tamtech.com/store/dragon-...ct,Product.asp

Seemed overpriced, and that what I'd proposed would cost less and move more air.

My little diagram is something I'd rig in the joist space above the garage ceiling. In other words, were I to look at the ceiling with this thing I envision, installed, one'd simply see two large registers.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,486

If you are opening the door before starting the car. Then something is causing Negative pressure, to pull the exhaust fumes into the garage. As for emitting gas after they are shut off. It is exhaust fumes. even after being shut off, yes the exhaust will still be exhausting from the garage.

You need to not immediately shut the garage door after shutting off the key. Leave the door open for a bit. Also if the door is shutting too far down. You need to adjust the bar that is attached to the door closer, to allow it to stay just about 1/2" open.

Band-aiding a so called fix, will end up causing problems with CO leaching into the habitable area.

Once you shut off the key on today's vehicles, no exhaust fumes will come out of the tailpipe on the vehicle. If you want to do a test on CO vs. O2. Call your local Fire house for where you live. They will come and do a test to check what the levels are. If they state that they are too high. They can then give you contact info on who to fix this problem.

They will also suggest leaving the garage door open a little longer then you normally do.

Adding vents in the garage door is a fix. But also causes you to not have an insulated space to keep it from getting too cold.

Go into your profile and update your location where you live. You may get some better suggestions from people that live in your area.

Just an FYI. I have a detached garage, that can get up to 115 deg's Fahrenheit. I have no problems with the vehicles. But I do get problems with the gas cans for the mower, Snow Blower & chainsaw stored in there. It does smell like exhaust fumes from them being out there. But after opening the garage, the fumes disperse.

Your problem may be a simple one to fix. It may be a hard one. It is just finding the reason why there is no air movement with the current design of your garage.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:49 AM   #5

Sound advice, thank you. To continue on a pragmatic route, I was hopeful for advice and experience on these Vortex fans. I've also seen Elicent fans recommended. Apparently one is wiser to mount using chains rather than into the joist (vibration?). Any gotchas in drilling a hole through the side of the garage wall (siding on outside)?

(the things above I think I could figure out)

Where the electrical is concerned, are there switches that much like a home furnace thermostat, can turn a circuit on/off much like a single-pole-single-throw switch could?

Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If you are opening the door before starting the car. Then something is causing Negative pressure, to pull the exhaust fumes into the garage.
Wind blowing at the garage will trap exhaust in the garage.

I can't speak to the vortex fan, but if you are going to do this, you also need to have some sort of inlet for fresh air like a barometric damper.

If your garage isn't huge, you could probably do this with higher CFM bath fans.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

It's possible you're not getting advice on those fans as they're probably not the right solution. Why all the duct work? It's not like pulling air from specific points is going to do any better of a job than just the one opening on the wall.

And what's your plan for allowing for fresh air to come into the space?

As for temperature, I'd think something like an attic fan thermostat would work.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Fl...-PT6/100098472

Apparently there's kits for just this sort of thing?
http://vent-a-garage.com/

The real question is what's causing the stink? Eliminating the sources would probably help more than any fan ever would.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #8

I must confess that the stink is largely created by my car (it's more of a toy), it has a straight pipe and a bunch of other go-fast goodies on it, the price is a bit of stink.

I'm not comfortable parking it outside, leaving the garage open likewise isn't an option. I truly seek a solution to rapidly change the air in the garage a few times after it is parked.

I've seen reviews on those garage kits, and a lot of folks complain that the computer fans they're bundled with (of the 120mm variety it seems) don't move nearly enough air. I've read a few reviews where guys had a better time with bathroom fans in the end.

You guys have certainly brought up some good points though.

The tail end of my car is near the garage door when parked. I've revised my little sketch, adding inlets on the side of the garage, a single outlet instead of 2 on a Y.
Attached Thumbnails
Would like to rig myself a garage vent-garagev2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,658

Both Panasonic and Broan make wall mount exhaust fans and you won't need all the ducting and boots. Mount it ( 2 or 3 if you like ) high and the eaves will protect it from the elements.

Will they put a bow in the garage walls because of a powerful negative pressure ? Certainly not but they are relatively quiet, cost is within most any budget and your garage door will leak enough air to match the cfm exhaust.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote