Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Worth getting a biscuit joiner for 2 projects?

I have one project starting soon involving two 4ft x 3ft cabinets.
I have another project that is maybe 10 times that effort involving book shelves and cabinets, but this project will not start for another 2 years or so.

I don't foresee any other woodworking type project that would require a biscuit joiner anytime in the near future (near future being the next 2+ years)

What do you think? Ryobi is $100. I buy what I feel are better name brands for tools that I use often, and I do not have a problem with a presumed lesser brand if it's cheaper and I only have to use it for one or two projects.

The main point is, while I continue to do projects around the house, everything has a budget and I am moving on to bathrooms next.

Is it worth the $100 or are there neat tips / tricks that someone here may have so that I can forget buying a joiner?

Keep in mind, I do not know anything about woodworking and just now starting on basic cabinet building; all I know is what I have read about how to go about building cabinets and bookshelves and every article has talked about biscuit joiners.

It just seems like a tool with a very specific purpose.

capslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I myself wouldnt spend much on a biscuit joiner if you are only looking to use it a few times.

Biscuit joiners are pretty simple machines. spinning blade is plunged into side of wood creating notch for biscuit. Just need to set your depth and mark where the biscuits go and your good to go.

If you have a Harbor Freight they sell inexpensive tool, granted its not gonna be the same quality as Bosch or the Dewalt I have, but for something that wont get used much I woulnt spend the grocery money on something that is gonna sit on the shelf.

Look on Ebay for a used one. Here is one for $40
http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Biscuit...item2a074fb167

might find a lightly used dewalt or Bosch on Ebay or a pawn shop. I wouldnt hesitate to get a clean used one for 1/2 the $$..

What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

A biscuit joiner is mighty handy---if you do get a one shot cheap-o make sure that it is easy to adjust the settings.

A pocket screw jig might do exactly what you need ---and save you money on clamps--they hold the parts together without clamps.

Look at the bottom of this page--there is a sister forum for wood working---Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

actually the ryobi was rated pretty good by fine homebuilding

but I'm with mike pocket screw are more versatile
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

the ryobi has been doing just fine for me for about 10 years now.
I bought it for one project and use it quite often.

I'd buy one...
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,004

Casplock, You mentioned moving on to bathrooms. I wonder if a biscuit joiner can be used for plywood subfloor. I have never tried it myself but have wondered if such a thing can be used on a subfloor where the tongues and grooves don't meet.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
I wonder if a biscuit joiner can be used for plywood subfloor. I have never tried it myself but have wondered if such a thing can be used on a subfloor where the tongues and grooves don't meet.
Hmm, interesting. I hadnt thought about this much. That sounds like it would be tricky though.

Well, I found on craigslist a router with table for $40; and i've been wanting to get a router for some time.

I think between using dowels and the router to make Dado joints my first project will be strong enough. First project is a small 10' by 16" single row bookshelf / cabinets and sitting bench on top.

So I will probably put getting a biscuit joiner to the side untill one of my larger projects come around.

capslock is offline   Reply With Quote