Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 570

Is this worth 200 dollars

This compressor was just given to me. I have a guy that will deliver it to my house for 200 dollars. I have absolutely no idea what it is, 110, 220, single phase? It does work and that is about all I know. I have no use for it, so will probably just let it go. The wife is going to hit the roof if someone shows up at the house with this. She hears it kick on and I will probably be sleeping in the garage tonight.

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,038

No pictures? -
No details?
I bet your wife will hit the roof!!!
How can you ask us?!?
(I think it's worth $195!)

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,476

I can save you $100.....send me $100 and you will still be ahead...and your wife won't be pissed.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Maintenance 6 (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I've seen some compressors that I would easily give $200 for, and then I've seen some I wouldn't take for free. Without any details, how are we to know which type you're getting into?
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,226

I have one that have used for 15 years that I gave $100 for new.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

No one ever gets rid of something that they want! If he wants to get rid of it, you bet he has a pretty good reason.

And, it's never worth $200 for transportation for something like that. If you can't go get it yourself (why not?) then it's a case of beer and a pizza for a buddy. max. I have to think that if you don't have your own truck or van for transporting a compressor, you wouldn't get any use from it. You gotta have the need (work) or desire (hobby) to work with messy dirty things like air wrenches or paint guns to find any use in a compressor. Folks like that usually have the transport means to acquire things like that! You only have to look behind my barn for the "good stuff" I've managed to drag home in my hatchback! If I can use it, I'll find a way to transport it that won't cost me $200!
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,132

So, how big is this thing? If it'll fit in a pickup and you just don't have one, you could rent one for a lot less than $200. If it's too big for that, it might be three-phase, in which case you should probably forget the whole thing and save your money (and your marriage).
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,226

Around here, U-Haul will rent you a cargo van for the day for $20.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,892

We need to know what kind of a compressor it is----some are huge and $200 might be a super deal to move it---

Used? Heaven only knows if it's worth much---I just junked a big compressor last week---at 30 years old I figured the tank was rusted and no longer wise to rebuild---
Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 570

This is all I needed to know. If at first glance everyone was not posting back "worth at least 500 bucks" than I want nothing to do with it. winter is moving in fast and I only have a little time to wrap things up. People do just give things away. I see it nearly everyday. I know 3000 dollars worth a stuff sounds like a fortune. People get older, they want out of Detroit. Not worth the headache of selling off stuff. I have a auto function built in , yeah I will take that. Many times just ending up with stuff I will never use
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,892

I get rid of tools, machines and vehicles that I no longer want---Most have some value still---just not to me---so I give them away or junk them---

I just haven't the time or inclination to sit around trying to sell a worn out machine---
Lucky person that gets my cast offs----Most are old but still have life left in them--
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
This compressor was just given to me. I have a guy that will deliver it to my house for 200 dollars. I have absolutely no idea what it is, 110, 220, single phase? It does work and that is about all I know. I have no use for it, so will probably just let it go. The wife is going to hit the roof if someone shows up at the house with this. She hears it kick on and I will probably be sleeping in the garage tonight.
if you don't know what it is , why in the hell would you pay some guy $200 to deliver this to me, ??? i don't know you but i think i would think about this, if it were me and i could tell your wife what you were going to do, guess what you take it from here

del schisler is online now   Reply With Quote