Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Roofmaster

Share |

The world has gone nuts

This has nothing to do with much of anything but I thought id pass it on re parts. It makes no sense whatsoever to me. Im working on my boat trailer, so I pull the hubs to look at the bearings and races. One side was fine, in great shape. The other side had just a little pitting on the inner race. OK so I run out to the store. One side really only needs a new seal, the rest is in great shape. The other side needs one bearing and one race and a new seal.

Get this, both pre packaged:

The price for both inner and outer tapered roller bearings, both races, a new seal, and a cotter pin is $19.23

The price for one seal is $ 12.73

Is it me, or has the world gone mad?

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #2

The world has gone nuts

lots of things are that way. they make you buy what you don't need or more than you need. its another marketing scheme to make more money.
now usually on bearings you would buy both bearings and a new seal anyway, but i know how you feel.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The world has gone nuts

I recently bought a new inkjet because the cost for a new printer with cartridges was $5 or so more than the cartridges by themselves. I donated the old (year old printer) to a charity but almost felt guilty since they will have to buy it ink. Even discounted refilled cartridges are near the cost of a new printer.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

The world has gone nuts

Often has to do with packaging and shipping cost.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

The world has gone nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I recently bought a new inkjet because the cost for a new printer with cartridges was $5 or so more than the cartridges by themselves. I donated the old (year old printer) to a charity but almost felt guilty since they will have to buy it ink. Even discounted refilled cartridges are near the cost of a new printer.
That marketing paradigm was introduced with the safty razor. They would literally give you the handle for free then charge a king's ransom for the blades.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

The world has gone nuts

To replace my ballasts in some interior soffit lighting, I used to buy the prepackaged shop lights for 1/2 price of a ballast
Old 06-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

The world has gone nuts

I just bought a new UPS for my computer because a new battery (shipped) for the old one cost MORE than what I got the entire new setup for at the store... and the new one was a hundred watts stronger.

I think I did end up maybe a couple of bucks on the negative side due to local taxes.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

The world has gone nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
That marketing paradigm was introduced with the safty razor. They would literally give you the handle for free then charge a king's ransom for the blades.
I heard this too.
Greatest marketing/manufacturing idea since in-house financing
Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
MarginallyQualified

The world has gone nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Often has to do with packaging and shipping cost.
...and less than ideal part droids at the pointy end.
Besides, for $7 more you get the whole shebang and you're done.

As to the one seal... NAPA or a good bearing house will have it.
Tomorrow.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

The world has gone nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I heard this too.
Greatest marketing/manufacturing idea since in-house financing

Better one yet.

Plop plop fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is. Until that commercial came out. Even the directions for Alka Seltzer said to only put 1 tablet in. They basically doubled sells over night.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Roofmaster

The world has gone nuts

I did buy both sets all new. Did not make sense to do anything else.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

The world has gone nuts

Always check Rockauto.com first. I had to get a new battery for the Trailblazer, and everyplace in town was around $3.00 difference, Sam's Club was cheaper by around $22.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #13

The world has gone nuts

I'd second greg's comment, RockAuto has helped me out repeatedly.

What a lot of people don't get is that a big part of this is an inventory issue. It is far easier to just stock assemblies, use whatcha need, than it is to stock every individual part, pay guys to know which is which, find 'em, pack 'em, ship 'em. You can computerize your inventory into those subsets, each part comes back to that assembly, quick-n-easy we sell you the whole thing. Like a lot of work, it's the labor that runs up costs, not the material, so every step you eliminate by a person saves real $$.

It seems counterintutive that one part is as much or even more than a group of parts, but beyond marketing, it is a question of actual costs in today's economy.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Mold!! Let's kill it!

The world has gone nuts

I'm surprised you could buy the bearings and seal as a kit. To replace those on my truck, I had to buy a "cassette" which included the hub. Without the lug studs of course. Those had to be purchased separately. And of course, they only had 7. They had to call all over hell to find an 8th one. Yep, the world is nuts.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #15

The world has gone nuts

They are not nuts, they are smart. If you buy just a seal, they make perhaps $12.00 margin over their manufacturing costs. If they sell you a sealed bearing, they make perhaps $14.00 margin over their manufacturing cost.
Seems to have worked out pretty good for them, and you can't complain either.

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote