Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #1

Share |

work boots

what type and brand of work boots do you wear. I have always worn lace up but recently tried pull ons, and think I will go back to my Redwing lace ups. I just wanted to here what are others wearing. I do commercial work and Real work boots are a must

woodmeistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
DIY staff

work boots

I like my Redwings---And they are the only brand that has 11 AA--

Old 08-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

work boots

Red Wings, Wolverines. I get mine at the local Farm and Home store Big R. I also have a pair of Merrell hiking shoes, that are really comfortable and hold up real well.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Household Handyman

work boots

Different people will have different opinions, here's mine: Having worked Industrial Maintenance for 38 years, at all the trades at any time, I have been through a lot of work boots. First--you have already put your feet into one of the best brands out there, IMO, the Redwings. The Wolverine line is very good also. As you have tried, I have also tried both the lace-up and the pull-on's. No choosing for over-all work boot style--the lace-up's. One thing I will suggest, and highly suggest: Buy a really good pair of work boots that will be comfortable and last a long time. Then, as soon as you can afford to , buy another pair. I learned early that having two pair will make your feet feel so much better, and you can let one pair rest while wearing the other.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Mod

work boots

I grew up near the Danner factory, they have a store there and that’s where they sell their seconds. Usually just cosmetic flaws for about 1/3 of retail. I still stop by there when I’m in town and in the need.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Too Old

work boots

For over 25 years I have been wearing the Diehard boots from Sears, I never had an issue with break in blisters with new boots but I always put olive oil on them when I first brought them home. I use to average 1 pair every 6 months but things are a lot slower now so I have had this pair for almost 1 year. BTW I never could do a steel toe shoe so these were all non steel toe.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

work boots

I've gone through Redwings, Georgias, TimberLnds, Wolverines, a bunch of the cheap brands, and the boot I continue to buy and appreciate are Carolinas, I have two bad feet (I fractured them both in one year) and they are the overall best performing & comfortable boots I've found for my profession.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Learning by Doing

work boots

I wear Timberland work series. I have a pair that are 'boots' and a pair that are 'sneakers' both steel toe.

For some kinds of work I have a pair of all leather steel toe mid calf lace ups.

Buy some good insoles. Wear good socks. And in the summertime I change my socks, at least, at lunch.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #9

work boots

Doc Marten's Industrial, Pull On's. I've been wearing them for years
RKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #10

work boots

For my line of work( apt. maintenance), I wear Merrell slip on Mocs. Lots of walking involved - a golf cart would be nice- and I can easily slip them off going through tenant's apartments. I have 3 pair which I rotate depending what I'll be doing.

Have a pair of Rocky gortex boots I wear in the winter only if there's snow on the ground.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #11

work boots

Thnaks for all the good feed back. It is good to hear what the pros on here have to say.

I just tried a pair of Timberland Pro Series ST, but the steel toe rubbed and I took them back. I went back to my old faithful brand of redwings, it is nice to get measured and fitted and get something that will last for several years. A bit pricey at $275 but well worth it, when you spend anywhere from 10-14 hours a day in them.

A veteran carpenter told me once, never buy cheap boots or a cheap bed, you will get out of one and into the other. Very sound advice i think.
woodmeistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
Dorf dude...

work boots

I was wearing normal work boots until I hit my toe with my jack hammer, big ouch! I went and tried many different safety boots and the best fit was Hiax. Here's a link. Great boots. http://www.haix.com/germany/ dorf dude...