Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #1

Share |

Wooden Door Draughty

I have a poorly fitted wooden door in my bedroom. Its a double door that opens outward to my pool. Winter is here in South Africa and with a pool temperature of 12 deg. C, my bedroom is freezing at night. There are big gaps between the doors and the frame. Short of putting in new doors, what can i do to insulate and close the gaps? At some points the door is lower than the frame.

Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #2

Wooden Door Draughty

Bob,

I don't know if you can buy 2 component sprayed foam in South Africa, but if you can, it would be the perfect solution. 2 component foam has a closed cell structure, which makes it impervious to water. Whilst it is used primarily as an insulator, it is also used in the building industry for retro window fitting. The product can also be sanded, plastered and painted. It is not necessary to plaster it, but one can if one wants to. Visit www.spray-insulation.co.uk for more info regarding Handi-foam sprayed foam insulation. If you can get it in South Africa, it is an excellent product.

Don't buy the single component foam because unlike the 2 component, it acts like a sponge. The single component does not have a closed cell structure.

Chantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:51 AM   #3

Wooden Door Draughty

Thanks Chantel, I'll check it out and let you know. I think I have seen it here, a neighbour of mine had huge cracks in his walls and I think he used this to fill in.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote