Wood Stove Insert - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wood stove insert

I recently moved into a cabin with a wood stove insert. The stove has two pull levers at the bottom, and a large pull lever top right. Also, has an electric fan.

The name of the stove has been painted over, so can't contact the manufacturer.

I'm not sure what the levers are for. When burning a fire, a lot of smoke comes into the house, upon opening the stove door to stoke. So, I wonder if I knew what the levers are for, and how best to adjust them, if this would help.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Karpol

Advertisement

Karpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

wood stove insert

karpol; I dont know but here is my guess :} the top right could be the flue damper which if closed is a great reason for getting smoke into your place. Usually bottom levers are for ash removal, some stoves have an ash bin the will open or swing out. I would take a few mins when there is NO fire and cool to investigate. Also take photos of stove, more than likely it was purchased close by and if there are some dealers show em pics. most likely they can give ya a name and instructions even.

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #3

wood stove insert

skymaster: Thanks so much for your reply. I'll do as you suggest and take a photo to local stove dealers.

I've been experimenting today, and the second fire seems to be going better.

Thanks again,
Karpol
Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
General Contractor

wood stove insert

Ash grate shaker for one on the bottom, possible fresh air intake for the other, now which is which you will have to figure out...the damper is the top lever, and generally it is either open or closed...do not try to "choke" it with a partial opening.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

wood stove insert

Joasis: THATS THE ONE I COULDNT REMEMBER THE SHAKER
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #6

wood stove insert

Joasis,

Thanks for the information.

It seems that smoke will come out of the chimney whether the damper knob is pushed all the way in, or pulled all the way out. I will try not to "choke" it as you suggest.

One more question...the "ash grate shaker" knob?????? I don't see any openings in the flooring of the woodstove. What is the function of this knob?

I'm used to using a very simple wood burning stove, so this one has me baffled, as pushing and pulling the levers hasn't seemed to make much difference in performance.

Thanks again,
Karpol

Advertisement