Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wood stove ?

I bought a fireplace insert off a guy, brand new. The question I have is where the flue pipe attaches "stainless steel liner" to the stove, this piece is not attached to the stove. He said to drill and tap it to bolt it to the stove. My question is do I have to use special heat temper bolts? I dont understand why this is not attached to the stove. thanks in advance.

econdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #2

Wood stove ?

Contct the manufacturer for instructions and any parts needed to complete the installation. Follow those instructions to the letter. When I was a full-time firefighter, we called those contraptions a " furnace". We actually called them many other names, non of which are fit to be used here. We saw too many of those furnaces burn the home. Usually from inadequate clearances to combustables. Personally, I would never have one of those in my home.

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #3

Wood stove ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Contct the manufacturer for instructions and any parts needed to complete the installation. Follow those instructions to the letter. When I was a full-time firefighter, we called those contraptions a " furnace". We actually called them many other names, non of which are fit to be used here. We saw too many of those furnaces burn the home. Usually from inadequate clearances to combustables. Personally, I would never have one of those in my home.
Could you somehow post a picure of these "Furnaces that burn homes" setup,fireguy?..it almost sounds as this very thing may be living in my living room ..at present!yikesrz!
Dyn'R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #4

Wood stove ?

I have been out of the fire service for 15 years, so you are out of luck. Even if I had access to pictures, I do know how to get them on a computer. Did your install get inspected by an inspector who knew what to look for. Just because an inspector has the title means nothing. Most of the inspections in my trade are a waste of time and money. But lets not go there. Often what we saw was an insert not installed properly. Some indications of trouble would be a wall hot to the touch , and burning wood odors. Some contractors would not take the time to connect a stove pipe to the insert, or not installing the pipe into the chimney. Sometimes the insert was slid into place and there was not pysical connection between the insert and chimney. The creosote would then build up on top of the insert until it caught fire. A hot fire can damage the flue liner, bricks and mortor. In case you missed my first response, I would not have an insert in my house. I would not have an insert even if I installed it myself.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #5

Wood stove ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Often what we saw was an insert not installed properly.Sometimes the insert was slid into place and there was not pysical connection between the insert and chimney.
I'm not even sure exactly what this insert even looks like, so i'll go snap some lousy pictures from my freshly purchased $8 camera,so don't be amused greatly by such clarity issues Plz
Attached Images

Last edited by Dyn'R; 10-10-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Dyn'R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Eibwen

Wood stove ?

A fireplace "insert" is normally a whole stove like applicance that is slid into the exisiting fireplace. It will have flanges off to the sides and top to seal off the opening into the house in effect making it like a wood stove.

In a masonry chimney the danger I believe Fireguy is referring to is from creosote falling onto the top of the liner in the firebox area and igniting. This would be caused by either lack of flue cleaning or improper cleaning.

A chimney liner inside the masonry chimney would prevent this since all creosote would fall directly back into the fireplace insert and be burned in a safe manner.

Some jurisdictions require a liner and most reputable installers wont put in an insert without a liner.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:16 AM   #7

Wood stove ?

Listen to that Sammy guy, he knows of what he speaks.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #8

Wood stove ?

Sammy is the man, has helped me with a few projects. Installing the stove this friday. Will let you know how it goes.
econdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Eibwen

Wood stove ?

Thanks EconDave!

Lemme know how it works out... I was gonna get my flue lined this year but the kid is in college and.......

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote