Wood Knowledge Needed - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

wood knowledge needed

Hi! I have a 18 year old jim barna full round 8" log home made of southern yellow pine. I have kept up the maintenance as well as anybody could. The home has been treated 2 or three times with boracare and I use perma-chink stain,(new stain this past summer and clear topcoat) and caulked all the checks. The logs feel solid but the outsides are looking very dry and weathered, with lots of tiny checks that are very hard to fill. I am getting ready to replace the windows throughout the house and I am just wondering at this point if I would do myself a favor by just sheeting the house and installing vinyl siding over the logs. The reason I am asking now is it will affect the type and color of windows I install. If I keep the logs I need bronze and if I vinyl over them I will need clay and also will have to allow for sheeting and typar. I am hoping anyone with much wood knowledge can help Do these log homes really hold up or will I just end up waiting till I get woodrot and then having to vinyl it anyways. I would think it would be best to install vinyl before any rot starts. The house is looking very weathered and there isn't anything else I can do for it maintenance wise. I know it's a shame and sacriligeous to vinyl a log home but if its gonna happen anyway I would just as soon get it over with while I am installing new windows. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

wood knowledge needed

I am no pro, but I can't imagine that your logs will deteriorate any more than any other wood if you keep water off them and UV protect them. There are log houses up here, and I am sure all over the country, that are decades old, and I've seen little, tiny log houses still in use downtown that were likely built 50-70 yrs ago. Wood is a very durable product. I'd search around, asking custom log home builders, etc, for opinions on longevity and how to protect the logs before I defiled them w/ vinyl. I'll bet you move along before the logs do.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #3

wood knowledge needed

Thanks! If exercise keeps you going, me and those logs are in for a long haul ladders, caulking, staining. treating, spraying etc. etc. I just wonder if when you start seeing the real weathering start if that means they are about to start going or if that is normal.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

wood knowledge needed

My guess would be "normal". I don't see how you could keep wood pristine for 30 yrs, unless it was totally deprived of oxygen and UV, which ain't gonna happen in a normal situation. Let us know what you learn from custom log builders, and if you don't have any around there, let me know and I'll call one or two here. john
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #5

wood knowledge needed

thanks! I hope I am just overworrying. I have really worked hard to do the maintenance regular, maybe its just the new wearing off them, and some age starting to show, I hope so, its just hard to know about wood and mother nature, thanks for your help! Much appreciated! Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

wood knowledge needed

While this may not be important to you, I can't imagine the application of vinyl over a log structure to be good for the value of your house. That seems almost criminal to me.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #7

wood knowledge needed

Good point about the value as well! I guess what I am trying to figure out in my mind is how wood operates, when you see the aging on the exterior starting, is that a sign that trouble is coming or is it just the logs drying out and hardening up. I know on old barns the wood gets so hard you can't hardly get a nail in. I hope this is the case with the logs but I am not a wood expert.

Advertisement