Wood Floors - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wood floors

I live in SC around the middle of the state and I'm building a house. I want to install real wood floors but I'm unsure of which type of wood to use for the floor. I have to take in consideration the climate in SC which is muggy and hot. I also would like a hard wood floor that I don't have to worry about the dents getting in the floor if I drop a can on it.

Advertisement

shelbytri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Wood floors

The obvious is oak, either red or white. White is technically a little harder, but it is non significant for a residential application. To me, the red is a nicer looking floor, unless you want to keep it really blonde looking.

Depending on your like of the look it has and the style of the house, another option is genuine longleaf pine. It is available in a wide selection of grades, depending on how "rustic" a look you want or how "clear" a look your check book can tolerate. It will dent and dimple from ordinary daily use quite easily though.

Brazilian cherry is pretty tough, and very popular if you like the dark reddish brown color of it.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Wood floors

Though not technically wood, bamboo flooring is getting quite popular. It's very hard and naturally water resistent.
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wood floors

No matter how hard the surface of any wood floor or laminate for that matter, if you drop something on it like a can, you will most definitely get a dent.

Some woods may be more scratch resistant, but anything that you drop on wood will dent.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Wood floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
No matter how hard the surface of any wood floor or laminate for that matter, if you drop something on it like a can, you will most definitely get a dent.

Some woods may be more scratch resistant, but anything that you drop on wood will dent.
I wonder how many of us has found this out the hard way
Prefinished flooring scratches easier than the regular hardwood you have to sand fill and poly. The more coats the more resistant it is but never perfect.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wood floors

Oh yes, Darylh.

I have found this out.

The first dent is hard to take.
But after the first one, it doesn't bother you as much. Still bothers me, but not as much.

I have prefinished hardwood flooring throughout my home, and they are pretty scratch resistant, but dents if something drops, it will definitely dent.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Wood floors

I have found that ours does scratch fairly easy but one of my costomers has the regular in there house but they had 4 coats of poly put on and it is really resistant to scratches.

Advertisement

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote