Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #1

Share |

wood fencing question

Hi there:

I"d like to ask a question about fences. I'm considering tearing down the old and putting up a new fence. I'm leaning toward a shadow box type, and here is Calgary the winter weather is pretty rude. Frost line is more than 3' down.

So about the lumber. OK. Let's say I use pressure treated for posts. Do I *have* to use pressure treated for the rest of it? I've ruled out Cedar--too expensive. Can I make it with spruce or fir? What if I use pressure-treated for the stringers, could I then use spruce or fir for the vertical boards? Are there fence Gods that will strike me down if I use spruce or fir--it's so much cheaper? Also, is there a special quality of boards that I have to use?

Thanks very much in advance,
march7

march7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #2

wood fencing question

Ok, so you're using pressure treated for the posts. Good. It is either that or Cedar. Can you use Spruce or Fir for the above-ground portions? Nope. Not a good idea if you want the fence to last more than a couple years. Spruce, Pine, and Fir are not naturally weather-resistant, therefore they must be treated to a certain retention in order to be decay resistant. Typically they treat Southern Pine because it takes the waterborne treatment well, not Fir or Spruce.

Your options for a fence are basically Cedar or ACQ treated. ACQ treated pine doesn't make a very nice fence in my opinion...No matter what you do the 1x boards just don't stay straight. You get a lot of twisting and cupping.

You could always paint untreated lumber for a fence, but you'd better paint before assembly. It will also be a maintenance nightmare.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #3

wood fencing question

Grade and quality requirements are not set by most codes, but are often dictated by individual jurisdictions. It would be worth checking to be sure.

Nearly all jurisdictions have zoning requirements for fences, including but not limited to height restrictions.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #4

wood fencing question

don't worry I already checked the code requirements for the city. No permit required. Here it's a height restriction of 2 meters, 6'6", for the sides and backyard. You can build whatever you want within your property lines. If you're on the line then you're supposed to talk to neighbors. My current fence is on the line, so I plan to bring it in a little bit after a formal survey and just do it myself. No way my neighbors would contribute a dime, so I'll do it my way. I'm leaning towards the shadow box because it looks the same from both sides.

Re: vertical boards. If all things were equal, would you use Cedar or pressure-treated?

thanks,
march7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #5

wood fencing question

Hi,

I am planning to give my brother a very unique gift something like his own Photo to canvas of his one of the very special moment. So i was in very much confused situation that from where i can get something like this but thanks to them. I got a large variety of gifts & finally bought from here. My brother was so excited o see this what can i say now. i don't have any words. I just

can say thanks & i can advice you go for this.

Thanks
john_jsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #6

wood fencing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by march7 View Post
Re: vertical boards. If all things were equal, would you use Cedar or pressure-treated?
Cedar 100%. Pressure treated just isn't as good.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #7

wood fencing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_jsr View Post
Hi,

I am planning to give my brother a very unique gift something like his own Photo to canvas of his one of the very special moment. So i was in very much confused situation that from where i can get something like this but thanks to them. I got a large variety of gifts & finally bought from here. My brother was so excited o see this what can i say now. i don't have any words. I just

can say thanks & i can advice you go for this.

Thanks
What?