DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   General DIY Discussions (
-   -   wood burning fire (

rumps321 12-03-2007 11:25 AM

wood burning fire
hello can anyone tell me if i can replace my gas fire with a wood buring fire , my chimlely is timber framed

Niagarafalls 12-03-2007 11:39 AM

The gas fireplace will be vented probably with a flexible double pipe aluminum pipe, this is not suitable for a wood burning appliance, you probably will need to put an exterior chimney "A-vent" or Superpro chimney on the outside.

rumps321 12-03-2007 11:49 AM

wood burner
sound like a big job? is there a way of it just going out via the back some way as its backs onto an outside wall?

Niagarafalls 12-03-2007 11:54 AM

Is this an insert Gas Fireplace? does it vent up the Chimney? Was this always there or was the chimney used prior as a wood fireplace?

rumps321 12-03-2007 11:59 AM

wood burner
its always been in since the house was built in 2000, its just a standard living flame gas fire, built in to the fire place
yes it vent up the chimely

Niagarafalls 12-03-2007 12:07 PM

Sounds like you should have someone take a look at the chimney to get a professional opinion. Sorry:(

rumps321 12-03-2007 12:14 PM

wood burner
okay thanks for your help anyway it give me abit more of an idea

Kingfisher 12-03-2007 03:20 PM

Wood burners can't vent out the back they have to end above the roof. If you have a chase already formed they could run the new duct in the same chase but it will take new ducting. Wood burns at a higher temp. then the gas.

rumps321 12-04-2007 10:07 AM

thanks for that, would just stadard steel ducting do it or does it have to be some special kind? also does it have to be a certin width?

gregzoll 12-04-2007 10:20 AM

It is a Double Walled Flue that is used. You are better off having a company install the new unit, and duct, then take it on yourself, due to would be cheaper for the whole package.

NateHanson 12-04-2007 10:27 AM

You'll need a prefab chimney pipe like "Metalbestos" or equivalent. It can either go up the existing wood-framed chimney chase, or it can go out the exterior wall, and extend to the proper height above the roofline outside the building.

You could also consider a pellet-burning stove, depending on what you're needs are. Some of those have more flexible venting options, and can even be direct-vented to an outside wall with 3" pipe.

Either way, I agree with the above that you should go to a stove shop and talk to them/have them come look at your installation and either do the work for you, or give you detailed specifications of what you need for doing it yourself. It's very important to get a new wood stove installed correctly, and that can be hard if you have no familiarity with wood-burning systems. The temperatures are much higher than any other application (except coal, I guess), and the consequences of screwing it up are pretty major.


rumps321 12-04-2007 10:55 AM

thanks for your help guys, i guess its all kinda point towards getting someone in to do it, but i guess its better to be safe than sorry.:thumbup:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1