Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |

Woman Needs Help With Exterior Cement :)

Hello there,

This room was added on in the late 80s (permits pulled and all). It just started leaking last winter in all the rain we had here in So CA. The rain was seeping through the drywall at the floor, directly next to the door jam of the exterior door. The left side was worse than the right.

I believe this is coming from a gap opening between the exterior add-on foundation and the exterior wall of the house, right at the seam where they meet. The cement foundation appears to have deteriorated, and the glued indoor/outdoor carpet that once covered the seam where the foundation meets the wall has retracted over time to expose that seam.

This house is owned by my 89-yr old Mom, recently widowed, without the means to spend large amounts of money. I am her daughter and was hoping I could patch it for her, but I have never done anything like this before. I know cement doesn't stick to cement, and that there are different types of cement, patch kits, and bonding agents. Any advice would be appreciated.

After the foundation is fixed I will also have to cut out/replace the damaged drywall... but is there any chance of mold in the walls? (For reference, this wall faces due east and when the rains came they were battering it, right where that seam is. However, for most of the year the sun beats directly on that wall from sunup to well past midday.)

Pictures follow, and thanks for any tips or even just sending me in the right direction in terms of a website or links I can read. I tried Googling but everything is about basements... something we don't have here!

Thanks for reading!
Attached Images

Last edited by Trese; 08-11-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo
Trese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

can you take some pics of the exterior side of the door and the roof line above it.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #3

Looks like the rug is holding water at the seam in the wall. I'd cut that down or remove it completely.
What's the point of the 1" lip under the wall that the rug is adhered to? If that wasn't there, the water coming down the wall would fall to the ground when it got to the edge. Right now it wicks in at the seam.
You could try installing a drip edge at the seam. Cut a groove along the seam and insert a drip edge with a sealant.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
can you take some pics of the exterior side of the door and the roof line above it.
Sure.... I hope these help!
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Looks like the rug is holding water at the seam in the wall. I'd cut that down or remove it completely.
What's the point of the 1" lip under the wall that the rug is adhered to? If that wasn't there, the water coming down the wall would fall to the ground when it got to the edge. Right now it wicks in at the seam.
You could try installing a drip edge at the seam. Cut a groove along the seam and insert a drip edge with a sealant.
I planned on removing the carpet to do the repairs, so ripped it off this afternoon before taking additional pics.

I guess the 1" lip is part of the step... and now that I am looking at it better, I guess it isn't a foundation but the step seam that is crumbling where it meets the house.

Thank you for the tip about the drip edge... I am wondering if the seam were repaired/filled properly, would a sealant product alone or some type of waterproof membrane seal work? Something I can paint over, then reapply indoor outdoor carpeting either to (that point), or over (if it's even better to cover it)?
Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #6

@mustangmike

I just realized when you said exterior side of the door, you meant the actual door.... here are a few more shots... a lemon tree is in the way to stand exactly where I want for a view of the door with roof line, but...
Attached Thumbnails
Woman Needs Help With Exterior Cement :)-v6.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
NACE Coating Inspector

i would take a look at that roof vent just to the right of the door from the exterior view for a possible roof leak going into the wall. most of the damage seems to be on that side of the door inside. some of the problem may be that small ledge just outside of the threshold allowing water to migrate under your framing. if you have access to an angle grinder with a diamond cup wheel you could grind a slight bevel to allow water to run off. the threshold itself may need to be resealed also.
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
Trese (08-15-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

Quote:
i would take a look at that roof vent just to the right of the door from the exterior view for a possible roof leak going into the wall. most of the damage seems to be on that side of the door inside. some of the problem may be that small ledge just outside of the threshold allowing water to migrate under your framing. if you have access to an angle grinder with a diamond cup wheel you could grind a slight bevel to allow water to run off. the threshold itself may need to be resealed also.
Thank you for your help. I think I will cut a square of drywall out tomorrow morning and see if wood stains inside the wall indicate water was soaked up from the ground only, or that is was running down the wall from the roof (maybe as well).

Beveling the ledge and resealing the threshold sound like smart moves even if they aren't contributing to the problem, though they very well could be. Thanks for pointing out the tools I need too.

I will report back tomorrow after removing the drywall and doing a little inspecting. I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #9

Well, the side w/o much water damage doesn't look too bad. It definitely looks like the threshold just needs to be re-sealed, wrapping the bead around the jam.

The opposite wall has substantial mold on the boards, but doesn't really look like it's coming from the roof. Looks more to me like the wall just needs better insulation and a weather barrier/seal of some sort. It had nothing behind the drywall but fiberglass insulation. When the wall was built, the exterior door that's right there was left closed all the time, but about 5 yrs ago I moved in to take care of my folks and we installed a security screen door so I could leave the solid door open (I like the air), which I do, 24/7 all year round except when raining. So I am thinking that wall accumulates dampness b/c we are just a few miles inland from the Pacific, and the other side of that wall is the added on bathroom...which I also always leave the window open in. The wall with less water damage is warmer b/c the other side of that wall is the main house. Does that make sense?

I will look at that roof vent tomorrow IAC, but I spent today opening the walls... and this is my impression but wanted to see what you guys thought....?

If it is just because of dampness I plan to clean the wood with bleach and allow to completely dry with fans for a couple days, then find the proper way to close it all up again.

Comments and suggestion welcome! Thanks for reading...
Attached Images

Last edited by Trese; 08-14-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #10

Got on the roof and the roof vents look good. Very pristine, no tell-tale signs of problems.

I noticed mold on the back side of the bathroom-installed drywall though, so I removed the bathroom vanity to get that side of the wall down too. I cleaned it all with bleach and water. It looks pretty good, I think.

Here is my plan going forward pending suggestions:

After more dry-time I plan to shellac the framing to help protect it against future moisture. (Cannot afford to Walltite spray it Holmes-On-Homes style.) I read it's better to shellac than to use a fungicide paint b/c the next owner might wonder if you painted over mold instead of removing it. With shellac you can see the job was done right. (And I would like to be able to see the wood too.)

I'd like to add a vapor barrier or weather membrane of some type to help keep out moisture too. Think it would help?

And when I finally get the door-side drywall back up, I am going to caulk along the seams at the framing to seal out moisture... (saw some ppl do that on YouTube vids)...though I won't be able to caulk the bathroom-side drywall, so I don't know how much good it will do, if any?

Previous insulation was fiberglass. Good choice?

Thanks for any suggestions.... I will post some pics to show my progress.

PS The last picture is a closeup of the original soggy corner that started all this... that black spot on the other side of the wall in the corner isn't mold but the leftover backing from fiberglass.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
NACE Coating Inspector

now that your walls are open, i would close the door and spray the outside walls with a garden hose to determine where your leak is coming from
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
Trese (08-15-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
now that your walls are open, i would close the door and spray the outside walls with a garden hose to determine where your leak is coming from

Dang, that's smart!!

Will do that tomorrow and report back! Thanks again, mustangmike.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trese For This Useful Post:
mustangmike3789 (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #13

Leaked like a sieve via the door molding on both sides of the jam, and under the door midway over top of the threshold. I suspected this was the problem, but it's good to know for sure!

Will get a bottom U-Seal similar to this one, http://www.amazon.com/Frost-U36H-Bot.../dp/B000BDB73A for the door bottom, as it currently does not have a bottom seal.

From what I understand silicone caulking is best for re-sealing the threshold/jams? Saw a DAP product that was not silicone at Lowe's that listed its features as remaining flexible, waterproof, resisted mildew, etc, and was guaranteed for 35 years!!!!! Was only $3.98 too. But I got the GE Silicone II caulk, that was $5.98 b/c I read I should use silicone.

Did I make the right choice? (Did not actually use it yet... am going to put pack the walls first so it will be a couple days.)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Mod

I’d use a polyurethane based caulk such as "Vulkem" or "Quad", not silicone.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Trese (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Id use a polyurethane based caulk such as "Vulkem" or "Quad", not silicone.
Thank you! I will hunt for these at Lowe's but if they don't carry them, I looked up the 35-yr guaranteed DAP product after reading your post, and sure enough it is a polyurethane-based sealer! So I can at least get that one. (I knew I should have gotten that one!) Again, many thanks!