Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wiring for surround sound?

hi, i am going to be wiring my living room for surround sound and wanted to get some ideas. i have an lcd tv that is mounted to my wall and i also mounted my surround sound speakers to the wall. as it is now, i have routed the wires for the tv and components through the wall to hide them but the wires for the speakers are still exposed.
i was wondering what would be the best way to hide these wires. i could fish them throught the wall and have them all come out at the reciever location but is that the best way? the room is 35'x19' and speakers will be placed on both sides of the room.

starnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
not a total Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

The speaker wires in my system run through the floor, down into the basement, and back up through the floor. I was lucky in that the RL and RR speakers were above a closet and the main return wall for my HVAC, so the wires go directly into the wall behind the speakers.

I think they also make "flat" speaker wire that ends up looking like tape, that I believe can be painted.

Good luck!

space_coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

The "best" way to hide them is however you can. If you can fish them through the walls, that is great. We have ran them in channels cut into the sheetrock after removing baseboards, ran them behind crown moulding, drilled through the floor and ran them through crawl spaces or first story garages, then back up through the floor, ran them up the wall into an attic then back down the wall, etc..whatever works in your situation.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote