DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   wiring a deep well pump connection (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/wiring-deep-well-pump-connection-38895/)

dikndee 02-22-2009 11:07 AM

wiring a deep well pump connection
 
I have a 3 strand yellow wire connected to the pump. All wires are yellow and one has red dashes on it. I'm trying to figure our which one is neutral (Common)

chris75 02-22-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dikndee (Post 234578)
I have a 3 strand yellow wire connected to the pump. All wires are yellow and one has red dashes on it. I'm trying to figure our which one is neutral (Common)


I doubt any of them are neutral... Sounds like a start/run configuration. Is there a control box? Whats the voltage of the pump?

Is this an existing pump ? what exactly are you doing?

dikndee 02-22-2009 11:22 AM

I am connecting the electrical wire from the breaker to the pump wires. The wires coming from the breaker are white, black and red. The white wire is the neutral and the black and red come from the breakers. It's a 220 connection

chris75 02-22-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dikndee (Post 234589)
I am connecting the electrical wire from the breaker to the pump wires. The wires coming from the breaker are white, black and red. The white wire is the neutral and the black and red come from the breakers. It's a 220 connection


Was this existing or did you drop a new pump? Whats gonna turn the pump on and off?

dikndee 02-22-2009 11:35 AM

It's an existing pump that I am reconnecting. The wire coming out of the pump is a yellow flat wire (all wires are yellow except one has red dashes on it) The wire I am connecting to it is the one I described. I need to know which of the yellow wires is the neutral. The one with the red dashes is on the outside.

chris75 02-22-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dikndee (Post 234601)
It's an existing pump that I am reconnecting. The wire coming out of the pump is a yellow flat wire (all wires are yellow except one has red dashes on it) The wire I am connecting to it is the one I described. I need to know which of the yellow wires is the neutral. The one with the red dashes is on the outside.

How was it connected before?

dikndee 02-22-2009 11:43 AM

That's what I don't know. I would like to know which of the three yellow wires is the neutral. Is the red dash coding on the wire meaning that it is used for neutral? I don't want to blow up the pump motor. I can't see the pump connections, because it is down inside a pipe (to the well). OK?

chris75 02-22-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dikndee (Post 234609)
That's what I don't know. I would like to know which of the three yellow wires is the neutral. Is the red dash coding on the wire meaning that it is used for neutral? I don't want to blow up the pump motor. I can't see the pump connections, because it is down inside a pipe (to the well). OK?

I highly doubt the pump uses a neutral. Who undid the existing wiring? And whats turning the pump on and off?

First you really need to know if your pump has a control box, or if its built into the pump.

dikndee 02-22-2009 12:12 PM

Oh, I think now I understand what you are saying. There has to be a control box in front of the pump to turn it off and on. The pump was disconnected when the mobile home was moved. I will have to get a control box to connect it properly. It all makes sense now. The yellow wires will connct thru the control box with the other wires from the breaker will supply power to it. Thanks

chris75 02-22-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dikndee (Post 234632)
Oh, I think now I understand what you are saying. There has to be a control box in front of the pump to turn it off and on. The pump was disconnected when the mobile home was moved. I will have to get a control box to connect it properly. It all makes sense now. The yellow wires will connct thru the control box with the other wires from the breaker will supply power to it. Thanks


Thats the question, is the pump a TWO wire or a THREE wire? First question I ask when wiring a pump, and usually a pressure switch is what turns the pump on, here is your other problem, you need to know the size of that PUMP in the well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved