Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Wired Carbon Monoxide Detector replacement questions

I have 3 Sentrol 240e carbon monoxide detectors in my home ( one on each floor)

They were professionally installed about 5-6 years ago, and have reached the end of their life, and need to be replaced. Since these are no longer available I am replacing these DIY with the new GE version, the CO-250

My existing one's are each individually "home run wired" back to the panel, and there is a single resistor wired in to all of them at there. The wiring diagram for the new one shows a resistor put in at the actual detector rather than at the panel.

My question is, does it matter if resistor is at panel or at the actual detector? I would think it wouldn't, but i saw on one forum where someone was saying at the panel is a bad idea. can any one shed a little light on this. thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post

They were professionally installed about 5-6 years ago, and have reached the end of their life, and need to be replaced. Since these are no longer available I am replacing these DIY with the new GE version, the CO-250

My existing one's are each individually "home run wired" back to the panel, and there is a single resistor wired in to all of them at there. The wiring diagram for the new one shows a resistor put in at the actual detector rather than at the panel.

My question is, does it matter if resistor is at panel or at the actual detector? I would think it wouldn't, but i saw on one forum where someone was saying at the panel is a bad idea. can any one shed a little light on this. thanks
I'm unfamiliar with wired CO detectors, but I would suggest that you would follow the install directions explicitly.
Then, should a problem arise, the manufacturer cannot refuse a claim because it was wired wrong.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I'm unfamiliar with wired CO detectors, but I would suggest that you would follow the install directions explicitly.
Then, should a problem arise, the manufacturer cannot refuse a claim because it was wired wrong.
I'm not worried about warranty as much as safety. that being said, the less i have to mess with stuff in the panel means the less chance i have to mess anything up. thanks for the response
Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #4

Quote:
I'm not worried about warranty as much as safety. that being said, the less i have to mess with stuff in the panel means the less chance i have to mess anything up. thanks for the response
I was thinking of safety also! Didn't want to come right out and say it, but if you and your family succumed due to CO, someone could be held accountable.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

Are these part of your home alarm system?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

I assume these have a resistor being a part of a low volt fire alarm system. I've never personally dealt with them, however I would suggest you look for CO detectors with LCD displays. It makes it much easier to trouble shoot them. Counting beeps when time is important is not something I particularly care for. I am glad to see you are proactive in keeping up with replacement. Most people never think about them until they go off.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I was thinking of safety also! Didn't want to come right out and say it, but if you and your family succumed due to CO, someone could be held accountable.
LOL, if I'm dead whose fault it was will be the least of my concerns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Are these part of your home alarm system?
Ron
Yes, when i had the system put in I had them put in three, one on each floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
. It makes it much easier to trouble shoot them. Counting beeps when time is important is not something I particularly care for. I am glad to see you are proactive in keeping up with replacement. Most people never think about them until they go off.
Not much to think about or trouble shoot, when they beep and the light is red instead of green you open some windows and get outta dodge!!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
I assume these have a resistor being a part of a low volt fire alarm system. I've never personally dealt with them, however I would suggest you look for CO detectors with LCD displays. It makes it much easier to trouble shoot them. Counting beeps when time is important is not something I particularly care for. I am glad to see you are proactive in keeping up with replacement. Most people never think about them until they go off.

Did the new detectors come with resistors? What is the voltage of the new detctors and the existing panel? Are the detectors listed for use with a panel, if so, are they listed for use with that panel? This assumes there is a panel.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Did the new detectors come with resistors? What is the voltage of the new detctors and the existing panel? Are the detectors listed for use with a panel, if so, are they listed for use with that panel? This assumes there is a panel.
New detectors were ordered but have yet to arrive ( hopefully today). When my system was installed, these detectors did not exist. My original detectors were Sentrol 240 and GE bought Sentrol and disconed the 240 and came out with the 250 ( the ones I ordered) as it's replacement. The specs on both are nearly identical and my guess is GE made the change in appearance and model # because of a recall they had on these back in 2002
Old 03-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

You definitely want to use the resistor and it should be installed at the CO detector. The resistor configuration is there so that the alarm panel can "supervise" the CO detector. This is required for any life-safety devices like smoke and CO detectors. Your alarm panel may need to be reprogrammed for this zone for this to work. On a DSC panel this zone should be set as "24-Hour Fire".

When wired properly, it works like this:

Normal Operating Condition: Panel sees 5.6KOhm. Things are good.
When in alarm: NO contact closes and shorts out the resistor. Panel sees 0 Ohms. This indicates that you have a CO alarm
Fault/Trouble: Panel sees an open circuit (billions of Ohms). This indicates trouble.

So, if the wire gets cut going to your CO detector, or if the CO detector senses the sensor is going bad, it will open the circuit. Your panel will read this and show a malfunction light on the keypad to tell you that the zone has a problem without rolling fire trucks.

Long story short, it is much slicker and safer wiring it properly with the resistor.

---Aaron
aaronbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbrace View Post
You definitely want to use the resistor and it should be installed at the CO detector. The resistor configuration is there so that the alarm panel can "supervise" the CO detector. This is required for any life-safety devices like smoke and CO detectors. Your alarm panel may need to be reprogrammed for this zone for this to work. On a DSC panel this zone should be set as "24-Hour Fire".

When wired properly, it works like this:

Normal Operating Condition: Panel sees 5.6KOhm. Things are good.
When in alarm: NO contact closes and shorts out the resistor. Panel sees 0 Ohms. This indicates that you have a CO alarm
Fault/Trouble: Panel sees an open circuit (billions of Ohms). This indicates trouble.

So, if the wire gets cut going to your CO detector, or if the CO detector senses the sensor is going bad, it will open the circuit. Your panel will read this and show a malfunction light on the keypad to tell you that the zone has a problem without rolling fire trucks.

Long story short, it is much slicker and safer wiring it properly with the resistor.

---Aaron
I agree with you totally Aaron! In days of yore, before I retired I serviced fire alarm systems and end of line resistors are commonly used.
I was reluctant to say, in regards to CO detectors as I retired before these came into use.