Windows Not Working Properly - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

windows not working properly

just purchase a home and noticed that some of the windows are not working properly..

the top of some of the windows seem to slide down an inch or so instead of staying at the top - there is a single window lock in the middle that seems to hold it in place but it is a pain in the *** if i want to open the window then close it back..

i assume the window spring is going bad possibly? The spring is visible and shows rust - is there an easy solution for this problem?

home was built in 2006 - but seems like they went cheap-o on windows

Advertisement

silent1643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is a common problem on windows that rely solely or in part on friction from the side jamb inserts Sometimes the jambs get painted in place. They are supposed to be free to float. Break the paint seal around the edge of the jamb.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
the Musigician

bill: i think he means it's like one of my old windows here, (soon to be replaced) that when you close it, you need to push the top window up. when you unlock the lock, the top window slips down an inch or so.

silent: if you don't care if the top window goes up or down, take some PL adhesive or silicone caulk, squirt some along the top edge of the top window, then close and lock it for a day. that'll secure the top window to the frame.
not sure if there's a way to adjust tension as you describe the situation.

DM
Old 07-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
the Musigician

bill: roflmao.....one of us told him to break it free, and the other told him to glue it up tight!
(perhaps that's my anal-retentive nature showing?)
talk about conflicting answers! hehehehe

DM
Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

The lock is an automatic head lock. The purpose is to help with sash drift. Sounds like there is a sash balancer problem. If the balancers are tubular and have a colored tip near the bottom of the sash, they are known as spiral. These can be adjusted if they are still good. A tale tale sign that they are bad is grease seeping out between the colored plastic end and the tubular body - typically silver or white in color. If the are square/rectangular with cords attached to the balance shoe, these are block and tackle - not much adjustability if any. Thirdly, if the balance shoe has coils inside them that are approximately 1/2" wide, these are constant force. These can be tensioned to create friction and help hold the sash in place.
Hope this helps.
fenestrationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #6

Quote:
bill: i think he means it's like one of my old windows here, (soon to be replaced) that when you close it, you need to push the top window up. when you unlock the lock, the top window slips down an inch or so.
right - they went cheap on the windows to be an 2006 home. I think i might put a few screws in place to hold the windows up that are giving me problems.

Quote:
The lock is an automatic head lock. The purpose is to help with sash drift. Sounds like there is a sash balancer problem. If the balancers are tubular and have a colored tip near the bottom of the sash, they are known as spiral. These can be adjusted if they are still good.
very informative - but very technical and im afraid i dont really understand what to look for in this solution
Old 07-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

I have the same problem with a new "Prism" window that was installed in 2003. It's been that way since day one.

I asked another contractor about it and was told that usually happens when the window frame is installed too tightly.

Would love to know how to correct it at this point.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #8

i'll try to take some pictures this weekend and post them - maybe it will help others as well
Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #9

Sounds like the balances have not been mated with the sashes. You need to remove the upper sash and lock them into place with a screwdriver and then mate up the sashes into the balances again and then upright the sash.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
Haste Makes Waste

Well it sounds as if it can be fixed easily enough, but I have to admit I'm not really sure which part of the window is the sash, lol. Is it the frame around the glass or the actual frame the two windows fit in? And is the balance visible or is it inside the window frame?
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #11

The frame around the glass is the sash. At the bottom of each sash, there is a peg on both sides. These pegs fit into little slots that are connected to the balances. When you rotate the window to clean it, the slots rotate and lock in place. If you don't install the peg back into the slot, the sash won't be connected to the balances. The slots might be shoved up or down, who knows where they are now. Find them and even them out on both sides and rotate to lock them in place. When the sash is installed, the pegs will rotate the slots themselves and allow the balances to operate.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #12

thanks for all the info - i was able to repair most of the windows which had this problem by taking a flat head screw driver and forcing the spring which was dropped back into its upper position - windows are still not 100% (if you push hard enough they will just come off the track easily) but works for now

Advertisement