Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

window well

my house is 30 yrs. old. how long are those galvanized window wells supposed to last? (they're galvanized so maybe they should last forever?) also,one of the wells,right in front of the house,in plain view,was put in crooked so one side is probably 4 in. higher than the other. the well cover that's on there now looks like crap since the wall is brick and the cover goes down at an angle. ugly! any ideas short of digging out the well?

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #2

window well

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
my house is 30 yrs. old. how long are those galvanized window wells supposed to last? (they're galvanized so maybe they should last forever?) also,one of the wells,right in front of the house,in plain view,was put in crooked so one side is probably 4 in. higher than the other. the well cover that's on there now looks like crap since the wall is brick and the cover goes down at an angle. ugly! any ideas short of digging out the well?

tnx,
No there isn't unless you plant some shrubs in front of it.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #3

window well

hmmm...just thinking that since window wells aren't attached to anything (I think) I could dig under the low side and "jack" it with a "bottle jack". but of course,if it IS attached to the foundation... so,does anybody know for sure whether window wells are attached?

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #4

window well

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
hmmm...just thinking that since window wells aren't attached to anything (I think) I could dig under the low side and "jack" it with a "bottle jack". but of course,if it IS attached to the foundation... so,does anybody know for sure whether window wells are attached?

tnx,
Many have flanges with holes. Very few are actually bolted. Once you dig around it, it just lifts out, you can nix the jack. You won't know about yours until you expose the flanges.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote