Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Share |

Window shrink film around sill?

Hi,

I am looking into applying insulating film around my old windows; however, I cannot figure out how I am supposed to install the film around the window sill. The top and two sides are all even, but because this is an old house, it has a sill built into the wood work around the window. Should I simply place the tape on the top surface of the sill, causing the film to be bent at a 90 degree angle? Or am I supposed to some how put the film on the bottom part of the sill? If I am supposed to put it on the bottom of the sill, do people have trouble keeping the film to stay in the 90 degree crevice between the side frame and the sill?

Thank you for your input!

Liv2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #2

Put mine on the window sill. 90 degree bend. No problems.

oatlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Caulk around the frame of the window & the trim first with clear silicone and let dry. It is kind of late to be putting up Shrink Film. I have a window that I have to put the film on every year, and do the same as oatlord. You should be aware, that after a while, the tape does dry out during the season, and the film can pull loose at the bend. I just take scotch tape and tape down on the sill when it does, end of the season pull it all off.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #4

If it's the Frost King/Thermwell stuff....the reviews on Amazon indicated the double stick tape was junk and that is true. I just ended up tossing the tape as it was totally useless...just taped the film down with packing tape on all edges.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

I used to try to use shrink-fit film on my windows in the winter.

Then I converted. For the past (nearly) 20 years I've used seasonal silicone caulk. It is incredible. Apply it in the fall, then pull it off in the spring. There are several manufacturers, but they all run about $5 per tube. Each tube will do 5-6 windows (at least).

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote