Window Shrink Film - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

window shrink film

Thanks for thelpful comments in deterring my drafty windows and the shrink film I am having problems peeling the liner off the double sided tape. Anyone got suggestions for me? Are their any other tapes that would be easier and just as effective?. Can one use a good quality tape and apply over the plastic? It needs to be easy as I have a vision impairment. Carolyn

Advertisement

batwomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

window shrink film

I just installed some of that stuff and had the same problem. I found peeling the tape back before putting the last few inches in place was the easiest for me. With about six inches left to install, try putting the last half inch on one fingertip, peel back the paper, carefully put it in place and fold back the last inch of paper. Folding back a bit of it will make it easier to find once you are ready to remove it.
You can press it on firmly when you put the plastic on.

FWIW, I have aluminum windows and had trouble last year until I figured out warming them with the hairdryer helps the tape stick better.

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

window shrink film

In the past, I have found that some of the tape has probably gotten damp and it caused a problem like you describe. It can also cause problems when removing the tape in the Spring.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #4

window shrink film

I can't separate the tape either. Any suggestions?
bonniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #5

window shrink film

1. Clean the surfaces to be taped. I use water with some Spic and Span detergent, dry, rub with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on a cotton rag, dry again.
2. Apply the tape & liner to your wall or window casing.
3. Run a finger or other object over the liner to ensure good adhesion. If the tape is on a cold surface, application of heat from a blow dryer can help.
4. Using a sharp object like the tip of a utility knife, pick at the corner end of the tape. Once you have a corner up, the liner should peel off easily.

If the tape comes up with the liner, the adhesion is not good enough.

Last edited by EscarHolmez; 12-24-2008 at 11:58 PM.
EscarHolmez is offline   Reply With Quote