Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

window moisture

is there a diy way to defog a window once the seal and gas is gone?

boddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

window moisture

A diy replacement window.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

window moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by boddah View Post
is there a diy way to defog a window once the seal and gas is gone?
I had a window that had a lot of moisture between the panes. I cleared mine up by drilling a 1/8" hole in the upper left top, between the glass panes. I then drilled a matching hole in the lower right bottom.
Some people choose to drill through one pane of glass.
I realize this is not a perminate fix but I had water running down between the glass panes and after about 10 days, it cleared up completly. I will have to waite a see what happens and then make the decision to replace. My problem is that my particular window is not available!
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:57 AM   #4

window moisture

Most manufacturers guarantee against this type of failure. The min is 10 yrs, but most are for 20+ yrs. Contact the manufacturer. If the glass unit is replaceable, they will supply a new one, if the glass is not replaceable, they will supply a sash.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #5

window moisture

I was looking into a company that drills a hole and puts some kind of valve in the glass to allow the moisture out. They do not refill with gas but say the air will provide an r value. Just wondering if this is a waste of money or just do it myself. Giles how long has it been and what during what seasons? What kind of drill bit?
boddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #6

window moisture

Make sure it isn't tempered before you try to drill it
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #7

window moisture

drill 3/16 holes in glass upper left and lower right corner inside or out. Several Utube videos to watch. Tape some cloth over the holes to keep bugs out.
Let the window dry out may take a few days. Place a small clear plastic disk like a bumper used on the bottom of glass trivets or glass table top available on a card of about 10 at craft stores and Walmart. This is to seal the bottom hole. poke several holes through one to use on the top hole. The window needs circulation to pump out the moisture on warm days.
Dremel tool or Harbor Freight rotary tool
diamond coated 3/16 round end cylinder burr
self stick plastic disk for vent.
Watch utube for drilling procedure.
lifeisgood30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 36

window moisture

The moisture may clear up but you don't have an insulate glass panel any more. It is the same as two single panes of glass.

Replacement is the only proper fix.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #9

window moisture

Think of it as a window with a storm window. The efficiency loss is minimal and the cost of repair is low. The windows were not air tight when built rather they have a desiccant in the window channel to absorb the moisture that creeps in. When the desiccant cannot hold any more moisture the glass fogs. The argon gas is long gone from this venting and because it is invisible how do you know you ever had it? If the window was actually air tight it would break when the first thunder storm and low pressure rolled through on a hot day. The old Anderson window glass was actually "welded" on the edges and had problems with breakage when summer t storms rolled through. I have seen the two panes touching but when glass gets old it gets brittle and won't bend as much. Several of my windows are eight foot tall trapezoid triple pane glazing 30 feet above the ground. Cost to replace $1000 each. Cost of DIY fix about $1.50.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #10

window moisture

To make defog vents get some clear flat self adhesive pads used for glass table tops. About $3.0 for 24. Use a hacksaw blade without the frame to cut a slice out of the edge of the front side to meet the hole drilled in the back. Drill a 3/16 hole part of the way through from the sticky side after you cut the front in the center using dremel with steel burr. Cut the slice 1/2 way across the front. Mount the vent over the window holes. The pads look like these.
http://www.amazon.com/Polyurethane-A...ef=pd_sbs_op_4
The Following User Says Thank You to lifeisgood30 For This Useful Post:
matthewb (05-18-2011)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #11

window moisture

Drill the hole first before you cut the slice in the edge to meet the hole in case the hole is not centered. Don't ask me how I know this.