Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #1

Share |

Window Leak

Hello all,

I am writing to try and address a leak that I just found. I was about to install a sleeve air conditioner into a sleeve that hasn't been used in years and discovered staining and clear moisture damage. The sleeve is directly under a window. I removed all of the sheetrock around the sleeve and about halfway up the window (pic included) because I wanted to get to the 'edge' of the moisture. For the most part it is dry but there were softer pieces of sheet rock and the wood is clearly being attacked by mold. Some looks a bit damaged, warped, dark / white patches and some spots splintered. But the wood doesn't support anything (except maybe the window?)

I inspected outside the window and found poor caulking on the stool outside. It also didn't seem to slope outward but inward. So, I began scraping it to clean it / re-caulk it and not only removed some of the white aluminum paint but the old caulking as well. But then the damn thing kind of popped off in my hand! So, I disconnected the last remaining corner (attached by some caulking) and looked underneath. Looks like this is the entry point for sure (pic included.)

Now, to put it back. I am thinking paint it. Put a little foam in the gap to seal it. Cut excess foam to allow the stool to be placed back on. Nail in place with siding nails and caulk. Then spray the wood that has mold with an anti fungal / anti-mold. Wait 24 hours with a fan on it (although it is pretty dry.) Insulate, sheet rock, tape and paint. Sound right?

Here are a few things I am considering (not wanting) to do... replace moldy wood. Replace stool as opposed to reuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Window Leak-img_9034.jpg   Window Leak-img_9035.jpg   Window Leak-img_9036.jpg   Window Leak-img_9037.jpg  

csipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

Window Leak

More pictures of the window area and the aluminum stool I removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Window Leak-image-1462578614.jpg   Window Leak-image-2778952947.jpg   Window Leak-image-3519049787.jpg   Window Leak-image-1828631770.jpg   Window Leak-image-2915283734.jpg  

Old 07-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Window Leak

You are going to have to replace that edge of the window sill that is missing. That means pulling the window that you have, and installing a New Construction window, which should work.

They have them, so that there are mouldings that go over the nailing flanges, to hide them after down, so you do not have to redo the siding.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #4

Window Leak

Gregzoll, I appreciate the post but that edge is the stool (exterior sill) and it is shown in the next series of photos. I can nail it back on to where it was, no?

By the way. Some minor spots are crumbly / splintery but most of the wood is solid and dry when prodded or jabbed with a screwdriver.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Window Leak

That metal flashing is not going to work. You really need to pull that retrofit window and just put in a completely new construction window. Also fix any rot you can find, before you button everything up.

It still looks like there is some rotten 2x4 above the opening for the a/c unit, so looks like some reframing is still in order.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #6

Window Leak

Well, that accelerated quickly... Now my window is bigger. Exterior shingles were attached to sheathing. Sheathing was attached to 2x4s. Soooo... Hmmmmm
Attached Thumbnails
Window Leak-image-810603560.jpg   Window Leak-image-3022534300.jpg   Window Leak-image-4168279020.jpg   Window Leak-image-2648224294.jpg   Window Leak-image-1702753612.jpg  

Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
DIY staff

Window Leak

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

What are you going to do? Rebuild the old frame or replace the entire window unit?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Window Leak

This is how it always ends. A little problem turns into a larger one, when you start actually getting down to it. I would rebuild all the framing, and also replace any rotted siding on the outside.

Now of course, how many other window frames are like this on your place, due to maintenance being let go, and not kept up, to keep the wood framing from rotting.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #9

Window Leak

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Window Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by csipe1 View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
It is Murphy's law. Once you start on something, something else pops up and creates a bigger problem. What you have is from poor maintenance, which allowed water over the years to seep into and below the flashing, which caused the rot.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #11

Window Leak

Yep, I can't argue with it. You're right. There's no money to replace this window, re-shingle, etc. I am also concerned about how many other windows have this issue. But I don't see the same staining / damage anywhere.

For now, I am reframing below the window and around the A/C to remove rotten wood as well as replacing some of the rotten sheathing. I will also spray anti-mold and anti-fungal. The A/C will be held in place by attaching the new framing to the existing framing with framing nails. Insulate, rock, tape and paint the interior. On the outside, I will foam insulate, flashing with adhesive and caulking. There's no money for more. I hope it works. Pics to follow.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #12

Window Leak

Fitting the sheathing...
Attached Thumbnails
Window Leak-image-702906575.jpg   Window Leak-image-1102712436.jpg   Window Leak-image-715657557.jpg   Window Leak-image-1040726121.jpg   Window Leak-image-410166522.jpg  

Old 07-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #13

Window Leak

Sheathing, framing, shingles and stool replaced and sprayed with anti mold / fungal. Outside caulked. Lets see how it holds up in rain and then zip it all up on the inside. Still need some support wood for the AC to be really secure but already feels really solid. Check out the home made window sill. Free handed on a table saw from pine.

Hard to see the new caulking because the old is such a mess but i cleaned and scraped. now we need a coat of paint and still needs more for some spots but it was hot today and chance of rain is low...
Attached Thumbnails
Window Leak-image-1542332930.jpg   Window Leak-image-3590403091.jpg   Window Leak-image-328205670.jpg   Window Leak-image-1563075280.jpg   Window Leak-image-155144572.jpg  

Window Leak-image-3104122253.jpg   Window Leak-image-1275237240.jpg   Window Leak-image-2886687675.jpg   Window Leak-image-3814395957.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #14

Window Leak

Oh, forgot to show the re-attached broken shingle...
Attached Thumbnails
Window Leak-image-3042181075.jpg   Window Leak-image-3700643190.jpg