Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #1

Share |

window exhaust fan

I am interested in an easy install and remove window exhaust fan. I live in an apartment building. I would like to move cooler air into the apartment so I bought this large Lasko 16" window fan but it was about 2.5" inches too high. I then bought one of those twin fans for the windows but those don't move/circulate air at all. Has anyone build a window exhaust fan? Thanks.

kel456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #2

window exhaust fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel456 View Post
I am interested in an easy install and remove window exhaust fan. I live in an apartment building. I would like to move cooler air into the apartment so I bought this large Lasko 16" window fan but it was about 2.5" inches too high. I then bought one of those twin fans for the windows but those don't move/circulate air at all. Has anyone build a window exhaust fan? Thanks.
Your experience with the twin fan is odd, because I have a very old Lasko twin window fan and it works well. I also have a single Holmes, but it doesn't move nearly as much air. I think the actual CFM varies quite a bit between manufacturers. Keep in mind that if you're using it on exhaust on a hot day, you have to open another window somewhere to get good air flow. And of course, you should reverse it to intake on a cool night to quickly blow in the cool air. Make sure to actually use the extenders.

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to operagost For This Useful Post:
joecaption (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

window exhaust fan

That's the key, one fan blowing in and another sucking the air out for a cross flow of air. Other wise it's like sucking on a straw with your finger over the end.
If it was not a rental, a whole house fan in the ceiling and proper roof venting would help make the whole house feel cooler.
The correct amount of attic insulation and air sealing the attic also would make a really big differance.

Last edited by joecaption; 06-27-2012 at 09:22 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

window exhaust fan

Joe, it is an apartment.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote