Window Doesn't Close Properly - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window Doesn't Close Properly

I have a window that doesn't close properly. The bottom "panel" doesn't go low enough so I cannot lock it. The lock has to go into the "hole" (as shown in the picture), but when I close the window, the lock is higher than the hole, so it cannot be lock (so I am cold).

Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can do or check?
Attached Images

Advertisement

Dave in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Can you post a pic of where it's stuck? Is it not closing all the way? Is there anything in the side rails?

Advertisement

slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

If the top sash operates, check to see that the top half of the window is pushed all the way up. And if the window tips in to clean, tip it in and see if the window is hooked into the pivot shoes correctly. Then shut it and see if it locks.
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #4

Slakker, thanks for your reply!

It is indeed not closing all the way.

I don't know if the pictures below will show it clear enough. The bottom beige thing is the window sill. I have made 2 color block to show how far the window would go inside the bottom thing (I don't know how to call it).

The left picture is the good window. You can see the window goes in nicely, so the height is small. The right picture is the "bad" one. It doesn't close all the way, so the height is bigger. I don't know if I explain it well.

Since it is easy to check if there is anything on the bottom that is hindering the closure, I had checked and found nothing, so I am suspecting something might be in the side rails, but how can I check that? Can the side be opened?

Any suggestion would be appreciated. I have lived in an apartment for 25 years, and in an apartment you would just called the maintenance guy, so I never paid attention, and I never had a window problem in an apartment either.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dave in Michigan; 12-03-2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: pictures not right
Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
If the top sash operates, check to see that the top half of the window is pushed all the way up. And if the window tips in to clean, tip it in and see if the window is hooked into the pivot shoes correctly. Then shut it and see if it locks.
Goodness! I never knew that the window could tip in. I have been wondering how I could clean my window on 2nd floor. Glad I didn't get a tall ladder and tried to clean it from outside!

So just now I tipped it in, moved it up and down a little bit. Now I broke something. I have either broken the springs or somehow loosened it. There was a "PRANG" spring sound, and now the window is not connected to the spring, so if I lift it up, it will fall down again.

That is not my major concern now. But after trying tipping in and putting it back, it is still not closable.

Last edited by Dave in Michigan; 12-03-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: minor editing
Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Most likely, the mechanism came loose from the string, or the string broke (most lower end use a cheap mechanism for the spring assembly). I have a window in my garage that I had to take the window out, to get to the spring assmbly, then had to put it together. All that the assembly is, is a couple pieces of plastic, some string, a spring, and a piece of steel rod.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #7

The problem has been fixed (accidentally)!

This morning I walked into the room and didn't feel the usual coldness that I used to feel when I walked into this room. I took a look at the window and noticed that it had gone a little further down. I pushed it a little, and it went all the way down! And now I can lock the window easily!

And the difference from before was the springs. I think I have accidentally unattached the springs from the bottom sash. That means that the springs were not installed properly, were too short, or were so strong that when installed, the window could not be pushed down completely.

I will have a warmer winter this year for sure!

Advertisement