Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

Share |

Window Caulking services

Hi,

I think come the spring, some of my windows need to re-caulked. I noticed that some companies offer these re-caulking services. Has anyone ever used one? Is it just some guy, with a chisel/spatula to dig out the old stuff, and then he lays down some new stuff? Do they use a solvent to clean the bricks of the old caulking? Im just wondering if anyone has any experience with these type of services. I realize the service can vary for city to city, and company to company, but wanted to know if tis worth paying for, or do I pull up my panties and do it myself....Im not the best caulking guy....

Thanks!

sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #2

Window Caulking services

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmfj View Post
Hi,

I think come the spring, some of my windows need to re-caulked. I noticed that some companies offer these re-caulking services. Has anyone ever used one? Is it just some guy, with a chisel/spatula to dig out the old stuff, and then he lays down some new stuff? Do they use a solvent to clean the bricks of the old caulking? Im just wondering if anyone has any experience with these type of services. I realize the service can vary for city to city, and company to company, but wanted to know if tis worth paying for, or do I pull up my panties and do it myself....Im not the best caulking guy....

Thanks!
Caulking, like most things require practice. But the good news is that the learning curve incline is very low. There's no reason that you could not take on the job if you have a modicom of coordination.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Window Caulking services

Let's see if we have some terminology understood here: You are asking about "caulking" on your windows. Now, are you asking about the sealing area where the glass meets the wood frame of the windows, and this stuff would now be hard? This would be the window "glazing". IMO: Caulking comes in tubes, you use a caulking gun to dispense what is in the tube in order to seal a small gap between two mating surfaces. Glazing is another story. I have seen the last few years "glazing materials" which are in tubes such as caulking, have tried them once and was not impressed with them. I'm old fashioned about window glazing, having been taught by my Granddad. Removing the old, hard glazing is the hard part. A good, sharp scraper, not putty knife is used for removal, being careful to not damage the wood nor break the glass. Once all the old material is removed, and the surface cleaned well, applying the glazing material takes practice but can be learned. There are tutorials on YouTube on this, some are good, some not so good.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Window Caulking services

Some contractors will do it during Winter when business is slow, even Painters will do it to keep busy. Check around, because some areas also offer a rebate for "Weatherization".
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote