Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Will river rock hurt drainage?

On one side of my house, the dirt is sloped away from the house and then the whole side is sloped one direction... this is so water first drains away from the house, then towards the backyard. It can't just drain away as there is a concrete wall about 4' off the side of the house. I want to add river rock to this area to make it look nicer. Will rocks act as obstacles for the water I'm trying to drain away? I don't want to hurt the drainage pattern I worked so hard on.

NELily37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NELily37 View Post
On one side of my house, the dirt is sloped away from the house and then the whole side is sloped one direction... this is so water first drains away from the house, then towards the backyard. It can't just drain away as there is a concrete wall about 4' off the side of the house. I want to add river rock to this area to make it look nicer. Will rocks act as obstacles for the water I'm trying to drain away? I don't want to hurt the drainage pattern I worked so hard on.
Ayuh,.... Loose stone will slow the water, but not stop it,....

Awfully hard to walk on,...
'n the weed potential,...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Depends on the slope. Rocks will collect dirt and become an obstruction, but if there is enough slope for good drainage, and you keep it weed free, should be fine.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

As others have mentioned it really won't hurt the drainage. Other than the obvious thing of making it look better it will also help prevent erosion by slowing down the speed of the water as it drains.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 46

And if you put down landscape fabric first, the weeds have no way to root and grow, until dirt blows in on top of the fabric. The rock just acts as a speed bump, slows the water down so less erosion, and the slope stays in better shape. And looks better.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote