Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #1

Share |

Why do toolboxes cost so much?

Amazed at a thousand dollar plus toolbox I see in stores. I'd pay like $200 for it, and it's $1300. I'm not new to them costing a lot or noticing them, but now that I have to move, I started looking at them more seriously.

Do you guys know of any brands or places that have good deals or a good one for less? I recognize that most major brands are sturdy and have a warranty, but its just an aluminum box with shelves!

I build a lot of furniture from wood, so I was debating on making a nice one that way for way cheaper, but I'd rather have a metal one.

I guess its like buying a car. Its not how much it should cost, its how much they know you will pay.

Alpha Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #2

Tell me about it! Tool boxes cost WAY more than they should.

Most of the time Sears has a smaller 26in 5-drawer tool chest for about $100. Right now it's listed as Sears Item# 00959930000. It doesn't have ball-bearing slides and all that jazz. But it does have an oversized area at the bottom for bigger tools like a circular saw. I have one right now, and it's great for the money!

When I think about how many of these little guys I could buy for $1300 I wonder why I would ever get one of the big giant ones. You could have a whole box just for your electrical tools, or you automotive tools. Etc. Then you could roll over the one that you needed for that project.

That's my 2 cents (and my first post!)
Joe

Mess it up Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #3

In most cases but not all, it probably comes down to the actual gauge of the sheet metal used and 1) the drawer slides and whether they utilize cheaper nylon glides versus the smoother and more expensive ball bearings; 2) weight capacity per drawer; 3) locking mechanism for the drawers; 4) finish, i.e easily scratched and stained or pretty durable. Some cheaper toolchests are "soft" can be easily distorted by the weight in the drawers or quickly pried open. On some decent ones that I've owned over the years, the painted finish comes off all too easily. These reasons are no doubt part of why the $1000+ toolchests continue to sell to the pros.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote