Who's Responsible? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

Who's responsible?

I'm in the process of completing a second floor master bedroom extenstion on to my house with jacuzzi and bathroom. My contractor says that it is my responsibility to insulate and inclose the bottom of it where the plumbing and sew pipes are running. I think that this should have been included in the total cost of the job and he should do it at no additional cost to me. Can I get some feed back on this? I've included some photos....
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by johnny558; 05-07-2006 at 01:28 PM. Reason: photos too small
johnny558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
PRO

Rewards Points: 75

Who's responsible?

Johnny, you need to carefully read the contract. If it's not mentioned maybe it wasn't included.

Bob

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Who's responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny558
I'm in the process of completing a second floor master bedroom extenstion on to my house with jacuzzi and bathroom. My contractor says that it is my responsibility to insulate and inclose the bottom of it where the plumbing and sew pipes are running. I think that this should have been included in the total cost of the job and he should do it at no additional cost to me. Can I get some feed back on this? I've included some photos....
Johnny,

I can see that you "think" the insulation and inclosing the bottom should be included at no additional cost if it says it in the contract, but if it doesn't say it than,why should it be included at no additional cost?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #4

Who's responsible?

The contract says that all electrical and plumbing to be installed per NYC code.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Who's responsible?

Quote:
The contract says that all electrical and plumbing to be installed per NYC code.
There's your answer. Your contract does not say that your Contractor will include insulating and closing in . Do you still think that he should include it for nothing?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #6

Who's responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola
There's your answer. Your contract does not say that your Contractor will include insulating and closing in . Do you still think that he should include it for nothing?
If the inspector comes an insist that the code states that it has to be inclosed, do I still have to pay for it?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Who's responsible?

Quote:
If the inspector comes an insist that the code states that it has to be inclosed, do I still have to pay for it?
Yes, you will have to pay someone to do it but not your contractor if he doesn't have it written in his contract.

I don't know what your contract says or what your Contractor is supposed to be doing for you but he could be doing just the framing and roofing that is on your contract, but what about the siding and windows, if it's not on the contract then it's not included.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:33 AM   #8
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Who's responsible?

Wow that contractors is a big scammer...LOL I mean he should have included that in the bid unless you told him you wanted to save some money. But anyway doesn't sound like that bad of a job. Get some insulation not sure what kind ask one of the guys here glass house would know. Then grab some sheathing not sure what kind once again glasshouse would know and hop to it. What ever sheating you go with probably could be trimmed out in corner round or is it quarter round.

Last edited by 747; 05-08-2006 at 04:36 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #9

Who's responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
Wow that contractors is a big scammer...LOL I mean he should have included that in the bid unless you told him you wanted to save some money. But anyway doesn't sound like that bad of a job. Get some insulation not sure what kind ask one of the guys here glass house would know. Then grab some sheathing not sure what kind once again glasshouse would know and hop to it. What ever sheating you go with probably could be trimmed out in corner round or is it quarter round.
That's exactly the way I feel. I'm not giving him another cent. Thanks for the advice.(this goes for everyone in this forum!) By the way what is Glasshouse?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #10
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Who's responsible?

Quote:
...By the way what is Glasshouse?
That would be Bob up a few posts ^^^
The dude with the red hard hat and hammer
http://www.glasshousebuilder.com/

Especially ironic because he's been known to throw a few stones
lol
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #11

Who's responsible?

IMHO, the contractor is supposed to be aware of what "code" is. I mean, you're paying someone to do something that he knows how to do, right? So when the job is done and the inspector shows up, if he says "no way", then it's not up to code. If the contract says "to be done up to code..." then the Contractor needs to finish the job until it is. It seems simple enough to me.

On the other hand, we've had a situation where the contractor- who is rebuilding our kitchen- came to us and told us the ceiling wasn't level. He asked us if we wanted it level, and if so, it would cost an extra grand. He also forgot to include ceiling insulation in the original contract.

Now I know it's a big job and I'm not out to bust anybody's chops, so I said sure do the ceiling, we'll pay the extra cost, and add the insulation too. Human error I can handle, and I try to be fair. I pay good money for a good job and don't expect to get away with anything... that's the bottom line.
-Mike Schwager
Hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #12

Who's responsible?

trust no one!! mostly a contract unless you have a proffessional explain it to you, i just got screwed for 16,000 dollars due to not having a written change order which i thought was the contractors responsibility to have in order. please be careful to have that pro tell you what to expect on that contract. i will never trust another contractor again and will definatly put a bad word out on this one here in florida for not warning me about issues such as your going through
mitzi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #13
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Who's responsible?

A.) You neglect to say WHO is the acting GENERAL CONTRACTOR.

B.) I am not familiar with the requirements in your state, but I will say this:

We have been hired by many a homeowner, who has decided that: they would hire their own; Plumber, electrician, insulation company/person, foundation guy, excavation guy, electrician, painters...etc, etc, etc....
...and then hire us to do the framing and carpentry....

In reality: (In our area = If THEY pulled the permit and hired our company to do the: framing, roofing, drywall, finish work...whatever....

They are still the 'acting' GC.....and not us. We will give them our '2 cents' and our suggestions, but DO NOT expect 'us to' be the 'all knowing'...all 'for-seeing' ... 'all-planning', all- 'phone-calling', all 'calculating', ...."all problem and building issue solving"... all sub-contractor scheduling'... all 'quality checking'..etc, etc, etc....CONTRACTOR....

...Because there is a HUGE difference in hiring a company to be the 'GENERAL CONTRACTOR' and ....just hiring them to be one of the 'CONTRACTORS' .....

If we were hired as a 'CONTRACTOR'...then that is the capacity that we will function in because that is the agreement and the payment charge arrangement.
That also means that 'this job' has been priced as one that ....our company will come into and approach with the understanding that their is another SOURCE of qualified Construction management ...That is overseeing it and putting the 'time and energies REQUIRED ' into this process.

If a Home owner or DIYer wants ....and .... expects 'Our Company' to MONITOR ALL ASPECTS of the job, then: As "Licensed General Contractors", we expect to be paid for such an arrangement and for it to be discussed and agreed to (in writing) ..... prior to commencement of work. We will then stay on top of and bare the responsiblity of: monitoring, controlling, scheduling, communicating with local building authorities and code laws, schedule sub contractors, supply, research, pay for, remove debris, do onsite management, etc, etc, etc....

(Sorry, I am just venting about this common miss-conception....)

But ,it is something that needs to be "cleared up".....

If a Home Owner or DIYer wants to be the 'GC' on their home or their 'project' ...then....

... THEY (the H.O.) have chosen to take the responsibility upon their OWN shoulders to research, to know, to comprehend, to understand and ...to be liable..... for all local building codes and requirements....
('IF'... we do notice anything that is 'non-compliant'...we will voice our concerns....regardless of the hiring arrangement)

(Again: My apologies, but this is a common...pathetic and 'miserly' issue .... AKA = sore spot.... that we have run into as corporation (Never a legal matter) . It may....or may not be ... relevant to the this thread)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-03-2007 at 06:47 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 AM   #14
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Who's responsible?

wew....

Wow, Guess I had a big hair across my butt when I wrote all that last night. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-03-2007 at 07:05 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25
Talking

Who's responsible?

"Plumbing to code",means just that,the plumbing.How it is enclosed is up to you.That's finish work.One shouldn't be so quick to judge.Do your homework first if you want to run your own work.

Advertisement

tkle is offline   Reply With Quote