Who Cares About The Next Guy - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 640

Who cares about the next guy

How can someone call themselves a human and make things so hard on the next guy that has to replace something. I have just run into too many examples to list. I have regrettably made it hard for the next guy to repair some of the things I have done. I see no end in sight, I just wish I could caught a break once in a while

Advertisement

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have never left work that others down the road would not be proud to fix. If it needed fixing. I realize I was lucky to work on very expensive antique homes and not on new construction that has a published average lifespan of 30 years.

No reason I should as I turn over what I know to those I mentored. My Dad's levels, and mine short and sweet too hang art are in the closet. My grandfather's square is in the closet too. My additions to the collection include all kinds of things including a really cool measuring tape I know most do not have that splits the distance exactly in half.

I think, me guilty to start as anyone, turn cynical at times and it is not particularly helpful.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Home Remodeler

Rewards Points: 154

Have lived in my home for almost 25 years. Did a full remodel to it in the beginning. Back in those days we did not have the internet to get good advice and ask questions. Through the years I have found some things that could have been done better and sometimes I have forgotten that I even did it. One is the 3 inch pipe coming down from upstairs. Forgot about it while putting in hardwood flooring, nailed it with the nail gun while putting in baseboard. Of course it didn't leak until the nail rusted out.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 790

Yeah, if you live somewhere long enough you get to deal with your own historical skill set. At least I had the educational value of seeing what previous owners did that wasn't working as a jumping off point to start my own fiascoes from.
ThatDaveGuy (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
How can someone call themselves a human and make things so hard on the next guy that has to replace something. I have just run into too many examples to list. I have regrettably made it hard for the next guy to repair some of the things I have done. I see no end in sight, I just wish I could caught a break once in a while
It's one thing to do patches, everybody has to at some point, but there are things that rack up an 11 on the Weird-O-Meter that can make ya wonder sometimes. I am 3 years in here and still finding WTF?s and fixing 'em, so I can sympathize with you, but try and look on the bright side, you're more knowledgeable and accomplished if you see their work and know better, once you stop cringing.
ThatDaveGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

We are elbows deep in a complete renovation of our 1940's bungalow. We have found electrical issues so scary that had I known what was hiding in the walls I wouldn't have slept! We found funny things, like a half used bottle of cough syrup from the 40's, inside a wall. We found interesting things like newspaper balled up to stuff holes in plaster. (Cool bathroom reading material!) We also figure that nails must have been really cheap back then because I have never seen so many nails used in such small spaces.
At this point....instead of getting mad, we are viewing it as one big adventure. Kinda like a puzzle. There's a fix/answer for everything. The only downside is investing money in places that we didn't forsee.
soberjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberjulie View Post
We are elbows deep in a complete renovation of our 1940's bungalow. We have found electrical issues so scary that had I known what was hiding in the walls I wouldn't have slept! We found funny things, like a half used bottle of cough syrup from the 40's, inside a wall. We found interesting things like newspaper balled up to stuff holes in plaster. (Cool bathroom reading material!) We also figure that nails must have been really cheap back then because I have never seen so many nails used in such small spaces.
At this point....instead of getting mad, we are viewing it as one big adventure. Kinda like a puzzle. There's a fix/answer for everything. The only downside is investing money in places that we didn't forsee.
Good attitude. As the man says, "All the world is but our personal perception of it."

BTW, congratulations on staying sober!

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
soberjulie (06-28-2013)