Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Share |

Where in the World Are You?

I know the moderators of this forum are working on the system so when people sign up they will need to disclose, at least in general, where they are.

In the meantime, it would be helpful if all of you would take a moment and go in and update your profiles to include at least the basic. State if you are US would be great. Province I guess if you are Canadian. Country at least if you are elsewhere in the World. Should only take a second. Click on your username where you signed in unless there is something trickier about it.

It will give all of us who comment a better starting reference point to be helpful? Less time wasted on exchanges?

Last edited by user1007; 01-24-2010 at 02:38 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #2

Pet peeve of mine too SD,
People come on here and try to describe some crazy problems but won't post a couple of pics and let us know in general where they are. Then they can't figure out why they can't get a good repsonse. I think we should get in the habit of not providing answers unless people post the locations in their profiles. That would probably get their attention.
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but I don't think people realize how much their location determines the solution, and pictures will definitely help in getting a correction to their problem.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #3

Well said.

One of my New Years resolutions was to stop repeatedly asking the question and answering only those who gave that information - either in the post or on their profile.

Got fed up of wasting time; I really didn't like my thinking (to add this to my resolution list) as I am aware that the success of a bb of this type largely depends on the quality of the answers and the feeling new posters get when they know they get an honest, accurate answer to a question from someone who knows.

Landscaping, insulation, and basements are a few areas where location makes a difference to the answers; bet there're more....
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Not sure I want to be so harsh about it but I will be a nag in every post for those that don't show a location in their profile if I remember.

And cc, I thought the law in Montreal is that every first sentence uttered verbally or in writing had to be in French. Are you even within the law sharing in English?

I love your tunnel system in winter by the way. Montreal is a great little City in my opinion, save for the French thing.

Last edited by user1007; 01-24-2010 at 05:46 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Safe, Most of the Time!!

I agree that pictures are extremely helpful. I believe that most people don't post pictures mainly because they do not know how. When I first joined a forum I did not know how and found it frustrating trying to get the photo in the size limitations. PaliBob (thanks PB) turned me on to a free program that made it very easy. I am also aware of the photo hostings sites that make it easy. However when I first started I had to do some research to find out how. For people that do not visit forums on a regular basis I would guess they just don't think it is worth the trouble.

I now believe a location is mandatory when signing up, but I think as long as they put anything in the field it will let them register.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #6

I'd say about 75% of the people speak French daily up here, as either a mother-tongue or because they come from a French environment. Persoanlly, I do about 50% on the phone, in shops, on the street and with customers.

Some of the laws govern the use of French predominantly in billboards and sign etc but many gov't services offer both languages. French, in fact, is slowly dying off and this worries the native population. They're just trying to pass on their heritage.

But they don't call Montreal - about 3.4 million strong - the "city of beautiful women" for nothing!
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Household Handyman

"But they don't call Montreal the "city of beautiful women" for nothing!"

OH REALLY?
Now, which way would that be from Albany (Georgia)?

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote