DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   General DIY Discussions (
-   -   Where to report questionable contractors? (

water_cutter101 10-24-2008 08:03 AM

Where to report questionable contractors?
Hi All,

My wife and I have just gone through the renovation from HELL! We are still in it, but things are starting to move forward.

We originally contracted a renovator to do a lot of work on our newly aquired (but old home). This person came as a referral and we did our due diligence by checking references, etc. So we thought we were safe.

We live in Toronto, Ontario.

To keep it short, we paid him in term payments in stages of the project. It got to a point where he requested a payment to start the next stage, we gave it to him, and he took off. Never to be seen again. So now we are a TON of money out of pocket to get someone else it to finish the job, not to mention many other issues this created.

After multiple attempts to get a hold of him, we could not get a hold of him. To returned calls, emails, etc. Although, we know he is around and even working on other jobs.

The question is, where can we report this kind of thing? To the city? a consumer agency, BBB. We feel it important to expose this type of behaviour and help make sure that others do not get caught in the same type of trap.

It seems like there is nothing out there that exposes this type of behaviour from contractors to protect the consumer.


rjordan392 10-24-2008 12:00 PM

Yes, File a complaint to the police and then contact the BBB. Also check with your local tv news stations; some have consumer advocates. I believe most towns have offices to hear consumer complaints. And if you need to, contact your State's Attorney General if all else fails. You should get sufficient help from these without hiring an attorney.

Termite 10-24-2008 01:36 PM

BBB is member-driven. I don't put much stake in it.

Your first stop should be the police department or prosecutor's office to file a report/complaint. If he's violated a contract that is a civil matter, but if he took your money it is a criminal matter.

Contact the local contractor licensing board and file a complaint on his license (if he has one). File a written complaint with the city responsible for the permit for your job...They may prohibit him from pulling further permits, they may not.

You committed the cardinal sin of dealing with contractors, as I'm sure you know. NEVER pay for work that is not done yet, and stick to the contracted schedule of construction loan draws or payments.

AtlanticWBConst. 10-25-2008 06:22 AM

Dirt bag. Usually such individuals have either a drug/substance problem, or gambling debt...

Sorry to hear of such a bad sitution.

As KCT stated, make this a legal matter.

aaron.klimchuk 10-28-2008 11:33 AM

Definitely press charges and file a law suit. It's going to be extra stress and hassle in the beginning, but you won't have the thoughts of how he stole your money in the back of your head forever.

Also don't let this alter your opinion of other contractors. It's good to check up on home improvement professionals and it seems like you did that, but many experts are honest and hard working. Looks like you just happened to get the bad apple.

Good luck!

mandarinmint 10-30-2008 03:08 PM

Assuming that he's licensed, you should definitely call your state's contractor license board and then go from there and follow the proper complaint procedures. You can go ahead and file a complaint to the BBB but that might take forever. If you want your money back, you might have to go to court to settle the monetary dispute. . .however that takes money and time. I hope it gets resolved before it comes to that!

And I agree with thekctermite. . .never advance pay for anything not already done =(

biggles 10-30-2008 07:17 PM

try put up all the info on this guy with a title to your post and it will be viewed by millions with feed back from your area where ever this guy applied his trade.

wilderstyle 10-30-2008 09:26 PM

I agree with contractor state license board. Notify city public works where he has to get permits, so they have a record to hold other projects he may try to permit. Talk to local police or sheriff office regarding work stoppage at other sites. Get his name out there, maybe drop off a damning reference letter to multiple places. Careful of the media, you can be slandering and do damage to your own lawsuit if you pursue it. The tile store or lumber yard where your product was purchased may have a line on him and you could notify them to protect others also. Blackballing a contractor through local parts/product stores can be easier for you and quicker than a law suit. He may not permit his jobs, but he does need to get products to continue. Just some ideas.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1