Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Share |

Where to find codes?

Hello! I am getting motivation and planning to finish my basement. I will do the work myself as take my time with it. My question where do I find out the codes to do the work properly? Where can I go to get answers as far as far a receptical being how far from a corner. How many do you need for a room. How high off the floor. Questions like framing and just basic questions. I want to do it right so the inspection is a smooth breeze. Is there a book? Library? Internet? Is it free? I can't seem to find a "rule book" searched all over google.

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Where to find codes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
Hello! I am getting motivation and planning to finish my basement. I will do the work myself as take my time with it. My question where do I find out the codes to do the work properly? Where can I go to get answers as far as far a receptical being how far from a corner. How many do you need for a room. How high off the floor. Questions like framing and just basic questions. I want to do it right so the inspection is a smooth breeze. Is there a book? Library? Internet? Is it free? I can't seem to find a "rule book" searched all over google.
Ayuh,.... Is this in London England,..??

Paris France,..??

Perth Australia,..??

Port o Prince Haiti,..??

Columbus Ohio,..??

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
user1007 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

Where to find codes?

Go back and add your location to your profile.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #4

Where to find codes?

South river, new jersey
Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Where to find codes?

Check with your local code enforcement official, usually the building inspector. They will have all the codes, and additional information regarding local regulations.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #6

Where to find codes?

I know Daniel. Thanks for the reply. I know they will know but is there a manual of some kind. I rather not call him every time I have a question.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #7

Where to find codes?

Yes where I am the local library has code books. And the internet can probably help. Not to be smart but if you are not familiar with codes to read them can be quite confusing at times even for someone who deals with with regularly.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (12-11-2012), user1007 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Where to find codes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Yes where I am the local library has code books. And the internet can probably help. Not to be smart but if you are not familiar with codes to read them can be quite confusing at times even for someone who deals with with regularly.
And many of them differ from common sense.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (12-09-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #9

Where to find codes?

This will get you started; http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/...es/new-jersey/

Gary
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #10

Where to find codes?

And bear in mind that codes are the minimum acceptable design, so go a tad over on insulation, etc. Have fun.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (12-11-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #11

Where to find codes?

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #12

Where to find codes?

holy smokes! where and how did you find that link? i cantfind minefoe carroll county maryland can you? thanks
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Where to find codes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilkrrs View Post
holy smokes! where and how did you find that link? i cantfind minefoe carroll county maryland can you? thanks
Bet there is one near you. It is usually a big, underfunded building, hopefully up to code. It is full of smelly books and sometimes smelly kids being read stories. Or hippy era chicks playing soft guitar and doing puppets.

In a corner somewhere is either a person or two or an entire staff of reference librarians that will help you find what you need. Anywhere. I admit to using them when lazy or if I need access to things I cannot get personally. Most can even do things like notarize documents for free. Snarly folks though that can only be bribed to do you any good with Christmas cookies.

The historical archive people in most libraries cannot be bribed. If you need drawings or photos. Find out when they will be out for lunch. Don't be crass. Put the drawings and photos back for the next person.

Bring photocopy money or a blank thumbdrive. Most don't have money to make many copies of things for free.

Last edited by user1007; 12-09-2012 at 10:32 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #14

Where to find codes?

You need to call or local Building Dept or go on their website and see 'which' Code they are using.
Larger municipalities typically have their own set of building codes (based on the standard ones with variations) while smaller municipalities typically have adopted a version of one of the standard Codes.
At this point in time, many smaller Muni's throughout the country have adopted some version of the IRC (International Residential Code, 2003, 2006, etc). However, there are still some Muni's that are under the older BOCA or other Code standards.
Find out which Code your Muni uses and go from there.
Some Muni's have their adopted Code listed on their website, some don't. Some Code versions can be found online with research, others need to be purchased.
If needed go to iccsafe.org.
Code books are not as easy or simple to read as many DIY or novices would like. Requirements vary for different occupancy and construction types. When figuring out requirements it is important to make sure you are looking under the right section for the type of structure and occupancy you have.
As I have to tell clients all to often, "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from".
As someone else mentioned the Code is a minimum standard not a maximum. In many respects following Code is more than sufficient. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider improving on it for your particular situation as relevant.
MarkusAIC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkusAIC For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (12-11-2012), kwikfishron (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #15

Where to find codes?

Yes Markus, I already completely understood that codes is a minimum reference point. My question was where to find my answers to certain questions. I appreciate the feedback and will look into those u mentioned.