Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

Share |

Where do "YOU" dispose of florescent lighting tubes??

Just wondering what is the correct way,,,and the NORMAL 'real world' way people dispose of their florescent lighting tubes,,,like the 4 or 8 foot kind,,but also the compact small ones too!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #2

CFL's I dispose of at HD
I have a few 2', 4' & 8' flourescents
So far in 6 years I haven;t had to replace any
When they die I will switch to CFL
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #3

There are many companies that will do a pick up at your location if you have alot of bulbs to pick up. Some will charge you about $0.60 per bulb to cover the envirofee. Most local Home Depot and Ace hardware locations have a free drop off.
Chevy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #4

Put in plastic bag. Hit with hammer. Put out with regular trash.
CFL go to local store for recycle.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #5

You do not want to put your tubes out with the regular trash! Depending on the year they were manufactured the level of mercury in each bulb will vary. Today there are less amounts but you should always have them taken by a proffesional to be properly disposed of.
Chevy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Very timely post. Just last week I did a job which required me to change out sixty-four (64), four foot fluorescent light tubes. After completing the job I called our local City Solid Waste Department to find out what to do with this many tubes. I was told, with no stuttering, to just put them in the trash to be picked up by the City Sanitation Department. When I questioned the lady I was speaking with about just "throwing them in the trash" with the mercury and everything else that is in them, she replied that this was the proper method in our town. I even asked if there was a site I could take them to as I really didn't want them to get broken in one of those big purple "Barney" trash cans we have. NO, no site to take them to, unless you want to bring them to the local landfill (about 12 miles away) then then they would go into the dumpster labeled "Household Garbage". So, it looks like different municipalities have different rules/laws on disposal of fluorescent tubes. CFL's may be a different story altogether. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #7

A few years ago 20 to be exact I moved to a country site and found some old bug posion with the lid rusted through. (long ago banned, kin to agent orange). I called the county extension agent and asked how to dispose of it. I was told to dump it on the ground or put it in a plastic bag if I wished and send it to the land fill. Since I had farm animals at the time I did not want it in their water supply. Then I called Dallas Tx county agent and got the same answer. I waited until the wind was blowing hard away from my animals and burned it. Was I happy? No. I have found there is no unified plan for disposal of banned substances. It is unfortunate many things have been banned but the aftermath has no real govt. conclusions.
PLAIN O TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #8

I find myself going to the City dump a couple of times a year anyways, so I save any CFLs ( have not had to get rid of any long tubes yet ) and take them to the hazardous waste drop off at our dump.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Put in plastic bag. Hit with hammer. Put out with regular trash.
CFL go to local store for recycle.
Slight correction on suggestion #1; On regular Fluorescent lights (non-CFL) Don't hit with hammer directly. With screw-driver and hammer, puncture the cardboard near pins. Let gas escape. Then hit lightly with hammer to cause fragmentation of tube, rather than have it explode! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #10

Flourescent tubes contain Mercury - same as the CFL's
They are NOT supposed to be broken to be disposed of

Quote:
Fluorescent lamps contain small quantities of mercury, cadmium and antimony. It has been estimated that between 450 and 500 million fluorescent lamps are disposed of in the United States each year, dumping over 30,000 metric tons of mercury contaminated waste into the nation's landfills'
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
Household Handyman

FIY- -I had another job today to R&R fluorescent light fixtures. The lawyers office I had lit up so bright last week gave my name to another lawyers office for the same type work. I want all the lawyers in town to be my friends . So I go over today and change out four (4) ballast total and twenty-six (26) tubes. I tell one of the lawyers who was nosing around what I was doing about this forum and the talk about disposing of the tubes. Being as we were only two blocks from the local governmental building he suggested that WE take some of the old tubes, and WE go to the local governmental building to see if anyone there could give us a good answer. What they gonna do, lock boffus up? I think not. We go to the local code enforcement office first, the lawyer holds the six (6) tubes I had taped together up and asked them for the proper instructions as to how to properly dispose of them. Wait--let me paint this picture, he is about seventy-two (72) yrs. old, dressed in a blue/white pinstripped seersucker suit with black/white wingtip shoes on. The code enforcement people (all five (5) of them) just smile, and one says, "Just throw them in the trash, Jerry." He just turns to me and smiles, then states very loudly--"That's why they hire these dummies to do this job". And we leave. Into a dumpster tomorrow. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #12

well, it depends on how many bulbs you have. If you did a large rebulbing job and have 30+ bulbs, this is the best way to process them:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tvavXP7jyo

Last edited by johnnyboy; 08-04-2009 at 11:19 PM.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #13

thats what I thought you were supposed to do...