Where Do I Even Start For Finding Contractors Who Can Do Complex Insurance Haggling? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Where do I even start for finding contractors who can do complex insurance haggling?

The discussions here revolve around doing DIY work and I couldn't find the information for how to find someone who can handle the work, communication and paperwork.

I need to find someone that can haggling with another party's insurance much like auto repair shops who will do all the bickering with the insurance company of the driver that damaged your car.

There is water damage to my condo unit caused by a water intrusion from a commonly owned area of the building.

The nature of actual work is residential but the business part of it is complex and there are various requirements that must be met. The few resi contractors I asked do not know how to deal with this. The management company is stating that whoever I choose must get their approval for insurance requirements and the bid must get their approval.

As the leak originated from the commonly owned area, the building's insurance is covering the damage; including the damage that was inflicted to privately owned units. The HOA's insurance adjuster is wanting all affected units to get all the work done by one contractor all at the same time to minimize cost or at the discretion of the association.

Me thinks that they can't dictate who fixes damage caused to areas owned by owners(not association) no more so than the insurance of another driver that wrecked into your car.

I'd like to choose who makes the repair, what I'd like to have repaired/leave as is and settle.

Anyone know where to even start?


Spinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like a real estate attorney serving as mediator might be a better and safer bet for this long term?


user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 3,895
Rewards Points: 2,464

Look for a "public" insurance adjustor.

Have them do the haggling and battling... you do the contractor paying.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fraudulent Insurance Issues Roofmaster417 Roofing/Siding 4 07-13-2011 08:29 AM
Contractors - Insurance Fraud cpa54130 General DIY Discussions 16 05-15-2009 08:44 AM
What kind of roof is this? cwelte Roofing/Siding 16 02-23-2008 01:17 AM
Going about building a Condo Complex (contractors please chime in!) yungwunn911 Building & Construction 8 12-21-2007 04:05 PM
How do I get insurance? ETD66SS Building & Construction 2 06-19-2007 03:16 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1