Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Share |

Where can you buy 1/8 outer diameter polyethylene tubing or pvc/clear vinyl tubing?

I need to get a tube that is 1/8 inch or less in outer diameter to suck up water from a small space (kind of a long story). It has to be 1/8 inch in outer diameter or less. I can only find those sizes online. I went to Lowes, Home Depot, and could not find anything smaller than 1/4 inch tubing in the plumbing aisles. Anyone know of stores that may have 1/8 OD size in the US? I would like to get it by Tuesday, that's why I don't want to order it online. Thanks in advance

amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #2

Where can you buy 1/8 outer diameter polyethylene tubing or pvc/clear vinyl tubing?

check Grainger local they welcome DIYrs is it slipping over something ID should be more important then OD use a radiator clamp to lock it onto a pump or whatever your doing

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
amodoko (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Just brainstorming and not sure...

Do you have a lab supply company near you? Medical supply for something like wound irrigation or IV tubing? Model airplane engine fuel line from a hobby store?

I wonder if the 1/8" drip irrigation micro tubing might work? An irrigation supply company will have it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
amodoko (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
(the original)

The smaller of the fuel lines on most string trimmers is about that size. A mower repair shop might have it in bulk.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbefishin' For This Useful Post:
amodoko (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

Gee we love storys.
Tubing with that small an OD is going to collapes with suction on it and the hole inside so small I can not see it doing much.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
amodoko (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Bombastic Idiot

Pet shops have small diameter tubing, soft and hard plastic. Hobby shops have small diameter copper and steel tubing, I think RC airplane models use it.

Big Boxes, smaller hardeware stores also have small copper tubing, a bin with flat metals, angles , rods etc. Auot parts stores also.

Now what's the story, we're all geniuses here, maybe there's alternative. I once sent dozens of post telling someone how to remove dishwasher arm, when all OP wanted to do was clean dishwasher. So what is it exactly you want to do?
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to notmrjohn For This Useful Post:
amodoko (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Mod

You don't mention how long or flexible it needs to be but there are cocktail straws that thin and close to a foot long.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
amodoko (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #8

Hey thanks everyone for your replies, gave me a bunch of good ideas. I will try out a few of those ideas and see what I can come up with tomorrow after work. Thanks a bunch. Oh, and to answer your guys' questions as to what I'm doing, I'm trying to drain water out of copper pipe that has a bunch of bends in it since it is soft copper. I need to drain it so I can solder it. I'm trying to do it without cutting into the pipe to drain it (it has some bends in it where water pools and won't drain normally with the rest of the house). The reason I don't want to cut into it is it has a bunch of couplings on it over a very short distance already and I would like to avoid having to add more couplings via soldering when the workspace is so cramped ( I don't wan to use shark bite fittings either right now). It is kind of hard to explain without photos, and right now I'm not at my parents' home where the little diy job is so I can't post any photos. So basically, I'm trying to drain copper piping without cutting into it, and I can possibly access the water pooling area in the copper through a sillcock that is 5 feet away with a tube that I will attach to my manual pump, but to get around some of the bends in the soft copper the tube needs to have an outer diameter of 1/8 inch or less. I think polyethylene may be the best shot. Worst case scenario, I will just cut into the pipe to drain it and solder a coupling in that annoying space, or even add a shark bite if I don't feel like soldering.

Last edited by amodoko; 10-28-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #9

Some oxygen tubing may qualify and if copper by chance would work I believe I saw some eighth inch in ace hardware once.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
amodoko (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #10

can you blow it out with compressed air?
amodoko (10-29-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #11

open a faucet and stick a shop vac on the end of it
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
amodoko (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #12

I actually don't have an air compressor or shop vac yet, but those are good ideas. I need to buy both of those things anyways, so I may buy a shop vac if the tube thing doesn't work since I need a shop vac anyways. Thanks for the replies
Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #13

Clear Vinyl Tubing, 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD x 100'
Anderson Barrows Metals
praveen0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #14

B000FMUX64 White Translucent Polyethylene Tubing, 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD, 1/16" Wall, 100' Length
Small Parts

praveen0201 is offline   Reply With Quote