Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Where can I find out what my light switches contol??

Sorry if this is a stupid question, this is my first post here! I just moved into my first home and there are like 18 light switches that seem to not control anything! I've tested the outlets and that didn't work. Where can I find out? Thanks!

Alexzandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

wall swiches rarely control wall sockets.. mostly over head lights...cabinet lights...outdoor lights.if you have ceiling fans and nothing happen when you hit a wall switch in a room check the fan pull chains might all be clicked off.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Go make sure your breakers are all "ON".
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,138

Are a lot of bulbs burned out?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,526

IF there are no overhead lights in the room the wall switches likely control receptacles or half receptacles. If someone change those half switched receptacles in the past it is possible the switches no longer work. Half switched receptacles require the tab to be broken on the hot side. If the tab is left intact then the switch will no longer control anything.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #6

As Bud said, check the bulbs first. Make sure they all work, then turn on a switch and track it down. Many of these might be exterior lights.
Many houses have switches that control outlets. When I bought my house, all the bedrooms and the living room had these in place.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,150

As some of the other posters sort of emplyed, it's possible that a duplex outlet can 1 side have power full time and the other 1/2 be on a switch.
Very common so as you walk into a bedroom or living room to be able to turn on a ligh without having to walk across a dark room to find a light.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
IF there are no overhead lights in the room the wall switches likely control receptacles or half receptacles. If someone change those half switched receptacles in the past it is possible the switches no longer work. Half switched receptacles require the tab to be broken on the hot side. If the tab is left intact then the switch will no longer control anything.
What do you mean the tab would be broken? Like I said, I'm completely new at this...
Alexzandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexzandra View Post
What do you mean the tab would be broken? Like I said, I'm completely new at this...
On the side of the outlet there's a metal tab that connects the top and bottom receptacles. If you break the tab off they are separated and can be wired individually.
One can be controlled by a switch while the other is constantly hot. So you need to test both when you turn the switch on or off.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,024

Keep in mind too that some of the switches may be 3 or 4-way, so it is possible that two, three, or more switches may control a common light or receptacle(s). For this reason, you want to have a maximum of two people involved in the process; one with a meter, tester, whatever, and one operating the switches.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Keep in mind too that some of the switches may be 3 or 4-way, so it is possible that two, three, or more switches may control a common light or receptacle(s). For this reason, you want to have a maximum of two people involved in the process; one with a meter, tester, whatever, and one operating the switches.
I just plug a radio into the receptacle. This way you can work alone if no one is around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,150

And if you use a radio make sure it's not a battery back up radio, unless you take the batterys out. It will keep working other wise. Been there done that.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
And if you use a radio make sure it's not a battery back up radio, unless you take the batterys out. It will keep working other wise. Been there done that.
You mean like being in the basement, flipping off breakers in a 42 circuit box and the radio never goes off. You mean like that?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

How old is your house? Has it ever been re-sided? I have a switch that does nothing because the PO had the house re-sided and had an outside light removed.

I have another switch that I have no idea what does.... the PO doesn't even know (She lived there for 30 years).
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
How old is your house? Has it ever been re-sided? I have a switch that does nothing because the PO had the house re-sided and had an outside light removed.

I have another switch that I have no idea what does.... the PO doesn't even know (She lived there for 30 years).
In our previous house, which had been subject to numerous renovations before we moved in, there was a bank of five switches that did absolutely nothing at all. It was impressive.

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote