Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #1

Share |

Where to buy glossy white boards

Hi,

I'm can someone tell me where i can buy those really glossy white boards. Here's an example of what i'm talking about http://www.precisionpaintingplus.net...livingroom.jpg (center piece table) I'm looking to build a table with that material. I live in Canada and have checked my local home building stores (home depot, Rona, Lowes) but none carries those really glossy ones. Are there particular stores that carries those kinda material locally? Can i order them online somewhere? Any help is appreciate.

Thanks in Advance.

buildingblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #2

Boards are not typically sold pre-finished. Occasionally you'll find pre-primed boards but they're usually not the type of material you'd build furniture out of.

I can guarantee you that the table in the picture you linked to was not pre-finished lumber. It was likely primed and then sprayed with a gloss enamel. Enamel paint is available at any paint store or home center and is reasonably durable and very glossy. If you use latex enamel, I'd recommend having some floetrol added to the paint at the paint store, which will make your brush stroke lines lay down pretty well, resulting in a smoother surface.

Build your table from lumber, use auto body filler to fill any defects or open grain, prime and apply enamel.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #3

I was in the same predicament a couple of years ago looking for shiny "black laquer" type board for a TV unit. The answer for me was to buy laminate, and put it on the finished mdf boards. Go to the Formica web site, and you will see the variety. Note that they come in different thickness and finishes ( I think "polished" is the shiniest ).
It will be a special order for sure, but it is available. When I talked to the guys at HD, they gave me some rediculous price and told me it was going to be some rediculously long delivery ( could have just said 'listen, were not interested" )
But the fellows at Rona were very helpful. They contacted Formica and had them send me a 5"x 7" sample of 909-90 black polished. When I got the sample, it was exactly what I needed. Rona ordered a few sheets for me, and I got them a few weeks later.
You will then bond the laminate to your table with contact cement. The one thing I learned about working with contact cement is to strive to keep the coatings uniform and clean ( after you use a brush once, its garbage, don't even think about cleaning it and re-using it )
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I was in the same predicament a couple of years ago looking for shiny "black laquer" type board for a TV unit. The answer for me was to buy laminate, and put it on the finished mdf boards. Go to the Formica web site, and you will see the variety. Note that they come in different thickness and finishes ( I think "polished" is the shiniest ).
It will be a special order for sure, but it is available. When I talked to the guys at HD, they gave me some rediculous price and told me it was going to be some rediculously long delivery ( could have just said 'listen, were not interested" )
But the fellows at Rona were very helpful. They contacted Formica and had them send me a 5"x 7" sample of 909-90 black polished. When I got the sample, it was exactly what I needed. Rona ordered a few sheets for me, and I got them a few weeks later.
You will then bond the laminate to your table with contact cement. The one thing I learned about working with contact cement is to strive to keep the coatings uniform and clean ( after you use a brush once, its garbage, don't even think about cleaning it and re-using it )

You know what i was at Ikea earlier today and I noticed that alot their cupboards, tables etc....are laminated. I've seen one that had a shiny polish lamanation on...i'm gonna check to see if Formica has it..then apply that with a board and finish it off with a high gloss layer.
buildingblocks is offline   Reply With Quote