DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What's your drywall anchor of choice?

5K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  portbarton 
#1 ·
I imagine that certain situations may call for certain types, like toggles, but from a general anchor standpoint?

I have been using the "EZ-Ancor" for a while now and have been happy with them. Was at the store today and saw the Cobra Triple Grip and figured I would give those a try too. Haven't used them yet though. Other?

EZ-Ancor

Cobra Triple Grip

See less See more
#10 ·
Ron -- I'm far from a pro so I haven't used nearly the amount of anchors they have, but I haven't had any issues stripping out in drywall. Are you saying they pull through the drywall during the installation? Or when you're screwing the metal screw into them?

#22 ·
I don't like the screw-in anchors (EZ). I figure it breaks up the gypsum, and the screw is not sharp enough to cut the back paper properly, and tears it. The combination can seriously weaken the drywall.

I don't like drive in anchors because of the number of failures I have seen because the back of the dry wall has been blown out.

For shear loads, and light tension loads, I prefer a plastic plug with lots of ridges (not the smooth tapered ones included in so many items).

For heavy tension loads (drapery track, top of cantilever shelving), I prefer hollow wall anchors (molyscrews in some parts of North America). I know, those of you familiar with them will complain about all of the screwing to set and use them. Not necessary - get a setting tool. It has a jacking mechanism similar to a pop-riveter or jack-nut setter. I understand from a relative that in France the sleeves and bolts are sold separately - purchase the sleeves, one bolt the right length to set it, and however many bolts the right length to install whatever. Less screwing. Installation tools are sold everywhere that sells the anchors. Here, they are generally special order through places like Fastenal or Brafasco. Ucan's name was on the one I have.
***********Anchor:
http://www.ucanfast.com/products/de...subcategory=Hollow+Wall+Anchors&productid=119
Threads are standard for the nominal diameter of the supplied bolt, so you can replace the pan head screw supplied with your choice of length and head/drive type.
*********Installation tool:
http://www.ucanfast.com/pdfs/datasheets/5.2metalhollow.pdf

#24 · (Edited)
There are generally two types of anchors I use if I need to. Metal EZ anchors, as I don't like the plastic ones, or toggle bolts.

Sadly because most of the walls in my house are either plaster, or drywall over plaster EZ anchors don't really work but toggle bolts do as does getting a screw into lath. Of course, 9 times out of 10 you hit a key instead of lath but that's just the way she goes.

Honestly, in my opinion if you need an anchor to hold some weight the only way to go are toggle bolts. I used to have my 8 day cuckoo clock hanging on a toggle bolt. I used a nut and washer on the outside to hold it tight to the drywall and just hung the clock on the end of the bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.